Google Pixel 4a is now supported for BYOP

The Google Pixel 4a is now supported for BYOP. :tada:

This means that although we do not offer this phone in our online store, it can be brought to our service with the purchase of a Republic Wireless BYOP SIM card.

Please note that our BYOP SIM card offers coverage with only our GSM carrier-partner. If you’re not sure about coverage in your area, please ask in our Community and we’ll be glad to help.

We support only the North American Factory Unlocked version of any BYOP phone. We are not able to support carrier-specific models. Please make certain any phone you are considering for BYOP is supported by installing the Republic Wireless app to check for compatibility, or consulting our Community guidance at How to Find a Compatible Unlocked Phone .

6 Likes

I have a Pixel 4A on order. Currently I have an old Moto X 2nd edition on the Refund plan. Do I need to order a SIM card to enable the Pixel 4A?

If switching from an older BYOP GSM phone (Pixel 2) do we just swap the SIM card? My SIM card is an original from when RW’s BYOP first started. Any updates to the SIM card since then? I ask only because I’ve had to upgrade SIM cards with other carriers in the past (after years).

You will need a new SIM card. Can you share your ZIP code so we can see the coverage with the different SIM cards?

You do not need a new SIM card.

1 Like

My zip is 27519.

I’ll be honest, I don’t love the T-Mobile coverage in that area. I would recommend requesting a new CDMA SIM for the new phones: How to Request a 3.0 CDMA SIM Card – Republic Help

1 Like

Per @southpaw, 4a is GSM only.

Not exactly. The BYOP SIM available for public sale is GSM only. CDMA network compatible BYOP phones (which the Pixel 4a is) may be equipped with a CDMA SIM as noted by @louisdi.

1 Like

Aha! Thanks.

2 Likes

Great!! Perfect timing.
My Pixel 4a should be delivered in about 10 days.

Now, going from my current Moto Z Play on Republic to the new Pixel 4a will also require a new SIM card (I cannot re-use the SIM card in the Moto Z Play)?

Hi @paulf.lrkq4k,

Your question is asked a lot. :slightly_smiling_face: The short answer is “it depends”. For details, please see here: Moving a Current Republic SIM from Old to New Phone.

As the original Moto Z Play was a GSM only phone you can indeed move the SIM card to the Pixel 4a. No need for a new SIM.

Excellent! Thank you for the link.

Perfect! Thanks for the “Pro-Tip”!

On byop site
the pixel 4a compatible model is this GA02099-US
But down below it says
Look for this model number in the product details: G025J

Which I can’t find. If I order a ga02099-us will it work?

This is the model number Google supplied the FCC for regulatory approval. Republic’s advice notwithstanding, generally, the only place one would find it is on the phone itself. Most stores are unlikely to list it as part of the product details.

GA02099-US is sufficient to establish Republic compatibility for a Pixel 4a sold as new. Where are you buying the Pixel 4a?

It’s sold out at best buy so I guess Amazon or Google. Whichever I can get quickest

Hi @melm,

Amazon has the Republic compatible Pixel 4a linked here:

An unlocked Pixel 4a purchased from Google would be Republic compatible also.

Thanks. Google has 2 day shipping
But not sure if it’s really that

Assuming that was supposed to end with “model” the simple answer is yes, the phone sold by Google is compatible with Republic.

Message an
Expert customer