Google Play Services Permissions

I would like to limit the permissions granted to Google Play Services, but I’m aware other apps plug in to it. I was wondering if Republic does. I have had permissions disabled for awhile and it doesn’t seem to have an effect on my receiving phone calls or text messages, but I’m not sure if I’m missing something.

If Republic does indeed need some permissions granted to Google Play Services, would anyone be able to tell me which? Do I need to give it full access to my phone and texts? It grates on me that Google might need to have permission to mine my most personal data in order for Republic to work.

What of other permissions? I would think that even if Republic needed Play Services to have certain permissions, others might be safe to disable? Like body sensors, camera, calendar, etc…?

Thanks for any help.

Sorry your question has gone unanswered for a few days.

I just looked at my permissions and Google Play Services has all permissions enabled…that appears to be the default… I agree it is a bit intrusive and not much logical reasoning offered behind why Google would need that info. Having said that …Google’s Android runs our phones…so I feel comfortable giving Google Play Services all the permissions it needs by default, if that’s what it takes for the phone to function normally.
Prior to version 6.0… Google services had these permissions by default and there was no way to disable them.

3 Likes
Message an
Expert customer