Google Play Store keeps using data

My phone as well as my wife’s phone are showing big amounts of data being used. I can understand some usage, but Google play store is using data when my wife is home (which has wi-fi on) and we just started a new billing cycle and has already used data 3.31 MB (which is not much, but will add up). Any solutions and it seems that Facebook is somehow using a lot of data and my wife says she is on wi-fi when she uses it mostly.

Make sure the Google Play Store is set to update over Wi-Fi only:

1. Open the Google Play Store app Google Play|autox18.
  2. At the top right, tap the profile icon.
  3. Tap Settings and then Network Preferences and then Auto-update apps .
  4. Select option: Over Wi-Fi only

I don’t even bother with Facebook, but if I did I wouldn’t use the app, I would just use a browser.

4 Likes

I have a Motorola G Power and am not seeing the Network Preferences in settings. I did turn off notifications.

Hi @williamg.tdqdsh,

Are you looking in the Play Store app settings as pointed out by @cbwahlstrom ? (Not the phone settings)

1 Like

@cbwahlstrom has a great suggestion to rein in auto updates and related cellular data usage.

I do feel like you need to solve the wider problem of why the phone is losing WiFi and preferring cellular data in the first place. My guess is that it is most likely related to Doze mode on your phone…or some flakiness in your router.

I would start with this excellent reference put together by @jben

This post by @freddyp seems closely related to your experience with Play Store

3 Likes

Ok, did go to settings in the app (Google Play store) and the setting is set for Wi-fi only for auto update.

Message an
Expert customer