Google RCS being implemented in US

Now that google is rolling RCS out. Will this work with republic wireless. https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/11/14/carriers-be-■■■■■■-google-is-rolling-out-rcs-messaging-in-the-us/

1 Like

I would think it would work as long as both users are using capable versions of Android Messages and both have a usable data connection.

Huzzah! It finally happened.

As the article mentioned, we had the workaround manual enabling but this should make it official.

This means that RCS should work with Republic at least with Google’s Messages, (mine says it is connected) but I haven’t actually tested it out with anyone, nor do I actually text all that much) to actually see it in action.

For a pretty good read on how SMS works and where RCS fits into the picture I found this in my morning reading — How SMS Works—and Why You Shouldn’t Use It Anymore

Quoting @cbwahlstrom as a reference, but replying to everyone in general:
Please do note that this use over cellular data would count against one’s purchased data, and the feature would not be available away from Wi-Fi to subscribers on a plan that does not include data.

3 Likes

My experience is this doesn’t currently work with Republic as Google does not detect the Republic number and instead activates RCS capabilities using the underlying carrier number.

1 Like

"RCS is the next generation of text messaging, delivering high-quality image sharing, typing indicators, location sharing, group chats, and video calls. "

I don’t see the appeal or usefulness of this…there are already dozens of messaging apps that support this, like Skype, Discord, SnapChat…the list goes on.

Personally, I hate the idea of those typing indicators and this message was read by person at #time. That drives me more nuts…“they saw it, why havent they responded”. More fuel for folks to be upset or bug me as to why it took me too long in their mind to reply. (or in mine when i need to hear back from them) I also do not want them to know how long I am “typing”.

High quality images sharing…already possible built in if you use Google Photos or OneDrive, it just shares link, and uses no data. Or I can send HQ image via Pulse fine.

Group chats, video calls, Google Duo, FaceBook, Skpe etc? I am not sure, as these are things I don’t ever do.

The idea is you don’t need a 3rd party app. It is just there, when you turn on the phone. No need to send your stuff through Facebook (whatsapp) or Microsoft (skype) or to make sure the other end has the same thing you do installed or to download anything at all.

To me the appeal is pretty high. My entire family uses Android phones. Most have no desire to add an another app to chat.

2 Likes

The other thing is…the other apps that pretty much most folks use now a days, have supported these “advanced chat features” since forever AND they are all cross platfourm.
Meaning they work and work the same on iPhone, Android, Win Phone(in the past), PC, MACOS, Linux…etc.

iMessage only iOS, RCS only Android.

And, if this only works through Google Messages, that is a additional app one has to install on most phones. Most phones, come with thier own app, Samsung a big one(and the second most popular used smartphone) Then carriers often have thier own app too, like VZW Messages+/

Ha? Don’t we all…

Well, i cant tell u how many contacts or friends, (even my Grandparent’s) who have others that only will communicate with other services, like FB or Skype, and they in turn have others on that app. etc. SOme i know dont even have cell service, it wifi only and thier main an only way to communicate is via said app. And it is not practical to have many folks in a group chat, say 100+, but it is easy when u use things like a Discord server to chat.

I guess i am saying, that is a weak point. As the general user these days will have those apps installed anyway…if not for only the few folks that they can only reach via that app.
If you are one that can single it down to just one service for you needs, you are in the niche group.

Google Messages is the bundled App on Pixels, Nokia, LG, Motorola, and pretty much every Android phone other than Samsung. Samsung’s own App is based on the AOSP client and already has RCS capabilities built in, I’m sure the interconnect is coming soon.

In the US SMS still dominates, be a large margin. As of 2018 in the US over 1 billion texts were sent per hour, Whatsapp by comparison less than 250 million an hour (the equation is the opposite in Europe). This is why Google cares. In the US at least, SMS is still dominant and while on decline, it is on the decline to iMessage, which Android users don’t have access to. Whatsapp usage has been flat for the last couple of years (in the US) and most other apps are just noise smaller than Whatsapp by a power of 10.

2 Likes

Native RCS would be nice for many, on a carrier level, and work with any message app.
But as it stands, to get the features of RCS, you and the other partys, must only use Google Messages app…according to this article.

I see no difference in using this vs apps like Discord, SnapChat, FB, etc.

I’m baffled. The difference is that Google Messages is a default app built-in to every phone sold by Google, LG, Motorola, Nokia and most others. Not one of the things you named are.

2 Likes

Hey luisdi, I’m not sure where to ask this questions, but this thread is open and seems to be asking about RCS and mesaging technology in general. Now that Google is making a strong push for RCS world wide, including in the US, is there any word from Republic about support of RCS on the Republic system? It has always been frustrating that text messages to iPhone users have been limited, but now if the rest of the world moves to RCS and Republic is stuck with SMS/MMS I feel like we will be in an ever shrinking technology cul-de-sac. Also, will Republic’s Anywhere application support RCS? Or will there be some way to easily migrate from Anywhere to an application that does support RCS (and take past discussion threads along with the move)? Thanks for any information…

Hi @reggiem.gxfx5b

Thanks for starting this topic. Google’s rollout of RCS is creating a lot of buzz, both in our Community, inside our office, and elsewhere. As I mentioned earlier, it’s important to note that RCS will require data, which means if our members use RCS when away from Wi-Fi, their purchased cellular data will be consumed. RCS is not the same as text messaging and is not included as “unlimited texting”.

and @elhays,
I moved your question into this topic, as it was more relevant to what you were asking than the topic where you had asked. :smiley:

The rollout of Google’s implementation appears to be extremely slow at this time, and no “insider” information has been provided to our engineers to enable them to prepare to support this new feature of the Messaging app. We have seen one example so far of a Republic Wireless phone that has had RCS enabled by the new roll-out and it does appear to work as designed.

Please note that because Sprint had already enabled RCS, users with phones with a CDMA SIM card may find that their phones can be toggled to use RCS, but this is not the Google roll-out. Sprint’s implementation is not supported by Republic Wireless and will result in your RCS Chat messages being delivered to your recipients from a number they do not recognize.
See: Does Republic Wireless Support RCS Chat Features in Android Messages? – Republic Help

It is our understanding that when you have received an update to the Google Messages app that includes Google’s rollout of this feature, you will be prompted by a pop-up or “modal” in the app to enable “Chat features.” Hacks or workarounds to try to enable the feature more quickly may not result in the same functionality. Please wait for the rollout to reach your device.

We will continue to monitor the rollout to fully understand how and whether we can support this new feature. Your feedback and reports in Community can help with that effort.

Google’s implementation of RCS relies on the Messages app. It will not be incorporated into Republic Anywhere.

Because text messaging apps read content from the same database on the phone, you can switch to the Messages app by Google without losing your phone’s messaging history. They will simply appear in the Messaging app. There’s no migration needed.

2 Likes

I’m anxious for the RCS features but a bit wary of the impact on my data plan. Especially when texting pictures or videos. I’m not willing to add another gig of data just to support my texting habit. Not saying that it will be necessary, but just saying that I’m going to have to monitor this closely as I test out RCS. What would really sell this for me is if Apple decides to incorporate this into iMessage. Group texting between Android and Apple phones is currently a mixed bag…

1 Like

RCS wouldn’t be something Apple would incorporate into iMessage. If implemented, it would be another fallback for Apple’s Messages app as SMS/MMS is now. I don’t see even that happening until RCS gains some degree of critical mass. Time will tell if this particular Google messaging effort succeeds where others before it have not.

Though RCS and iMessage share feature similarities, iMessage has one big thing RCS does not (end-to-end encryption).

My Pixel 2 is running Messages version 5.2.056 which says it supports RCS Chat but when I go into Messages Settings and tap “Chat Features” it says my carrier does not support that feature. I’m using RW’s GSM carrier.

Hi @fisher99,

My understanding is Google still needs to flip the switch on its end, is doing so on a rolling basis and hopes for wide availability by year end. There’s more involved than merely having the updated app and I’m seeing what you see on my Pixel 2 XL.

1 Like

There has been a lot of talk lately about a carrier consortium let initiative to develop a standardized RCS and now Google finally wakes up. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Message an
Expert customer