Great! WiFi Calls vs WiFi Calls

My phone is a MotoX !st gen.

In notificaton, If I get the notification, "WiFi

calls, messages & data", I can’t make wifi calls only cell calls.

If I get the notification, “Great! WiFi calls, messages & data” I can make wifi calls. My question is, what is the difference?

This is not a show stopper, but is annoying.

Thanks for any comments, JIM

Hi @jimh.bmpdi6,

I’ve never seen “WiFi calls, messages & data” on any of my Republic phones. I have seen “Cell calls, WiFi messages and data”, which means exactly what it says. Calls would be routed over cell with text messages and data using WiFi. Typically, one sees this when the WiFi network one is connected to is blocking Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). VoIP is the technology that powers Republic’s WiFi calling.

If you’re able to consistently reproduce “WiFi calls, messages & data”, I would suggest starting with an uninstall followed by a reinstall of both Republic apps. Please note, uninstalling then reinstalling your Republic app’s updates will delete all data in the app. You will no longer be able to see your past cellular usage history. If you want that preserved, please take screenshots. Any configurations you have set, for example, Wi-Fi network auto-joining, saved captive portal authentications and handover management (whitelisting) will need to be reconfigured.

With that said, here are the steps to do so:

1. From your home screen, tap on the Play Store app.
  2. Tap the menu stack (three lines to the left of the words Google play).
  3. Tap My apps and games.
  4. Scroll until you see the Republic Wireless app then tap it.
  5. Tap Uninstall and confirm.
  6. Reboot your device. This is the crucial step.
  7. Repeat the first four steps.
  8. Tap Update, then Accept.

Rinse, wash and repeat for Republic Telephony.

This is a 1st … I have never found anything that @rolandh wrong, objectionable or even borderline snarky … but

• The “Great! WiFi calls, messages & data” that@jimh.bmpdi6 reports is the normal indication that users of the older phones (Moto E1/2, G1/3 and X1/2) see when they have a valid WiFi connection through to the Republic servers and the VoIP link has been established.

• I am having problems finding doc to support the various states conveyed in the pulldown Notification … but here is an excerpt from Maximizing your WiFi - getting the best from your Router/network

• My guess your WiFi connection is less that up to par, a neighbor may have just changed channels on their router (or like one of mine just discovered that they can bother a whole lot of folks by using 40Mhz instead of the default 20Mhz in the already crowded 2.4Mhz band)

• WiFi or Partial WiFi can have 3 Notifications

• Great! Wi-Fi Calls, messages and data (Registered to RW via port 5090 UDP and MQTTport 8883 ok)
    • Cell calls & SMS, WiFi data (both 5090 and 8883 connections absent)
    • Cell calls, WiFi messages & data (8883 connection absent)

Republic Arc indicators you may encounter (1.0 & 2.0 plans only)

• SWA (Solid White Arc) - Great! Wi-Fi Calls, messages and data
  • OWA (Open White Arc) - (Cell connection for calls, messages and data (as allowed by plan)
    • Always Swipe down for full details of your connection capabilities
      • see Republic Arc status for details like (Cell calls & SMS, WiFi data or Cell calls, WiFi messages & data )
        Note: Checklist - Phone Info provides test, guidance and more complete how-to’s

The Republic Wireless process Bonded Calling has made an important stride in call quality … however a bad WiFi connection will still cause us problems that can only be overcome by the user.

Quick Start - WiFi problems

Always make note of any visual indicators before you begin troubleshooting and* make note of the Status and Notification which may be (A) 'Cell calls & SMS, WiFi data ’ or (B) *‘Cell calls, WiFi messages & data’ or © Great!, WiFi calls, messages & data

Hi @jben,

I’m quite capable of being completely wrong and often am, however, I think you’re overlooking what the OP wrote:

In notificaton, If I get the notification, "WiFi

calls, messages & data", I can’t make wifi calls only cell calls.

If I get the notification, "Great! WiFi calls, messages & data" I can make wifi calls. My question is, what is the difference?

Ah yes and at my age I am very capable of faulty reading … plus I used to sign an occasional corp email with ‘Sometimes I forget that I can’t remember everything’

Now to answer @jimh.bmpdi6 question … I have never seen the Notification "WiFi calls, messages & data" without the Great!

So guess we will need an authoritative answer? @seanr

Thanks for the replies fellows. I also think it has to do with port assignments.

This is not a show stopper, but is annoying.

If they continue to annoy you do have option in phone setting to block all the the RW notifications.

Message an
Expert customer