Greetings and Introductions!

Welcome to Republic Wireless and our online Community! If you’re new, you can learn more about our Community by reading our Welcome post and Guidelines.

Recently our Community Ambassadors introduced themselves. Then we had a little fun with what we learned about the Ambassadors in a Kahoot Challenge.

Now we’d like to get to know you. Take a moment to say hi to our Community and introduce yourself! Tell us as much or as little as you’d like. Answer a few questions from these suggestions, or make up your own.

• What region are you from?
  • What do you do for a living, and in your spare time?
  • What are your top skills or areas of expertise?
  • Do you have any pets? (We love pet pictures!)
  • What first attracted you to Republic Wireless?
  • What was your first Republic phone and what is your current Republic phone?
  • What is your favorite tip or trick you learned here, and from whom?
  • What is your favorite sports team and why?
  • What are your favorite foods and/or beverages (Share a photo of something you’ve recently cooked or consumed)
  • What was the last book, blog, TV series, music, video game, or movie you enjoyed, and/or what is your all-time favorite?
  • Where is the best place you’ve ever traveled or place you’d most like to visit? (Share a personal travel photo.)

Please join in, tell us about yourself, and take a few moments to get to know the others here in our Community.

7 Likes

What region are you from?

• greater-metro-boston-area, or whatever you’re supposed to say when you’re more than 15 minutes outside the city. we live deep in a forest which is a lot of fun! this pic is from our backyard:

What do you do for a living, and in your spare time?

• for a living: i’m a computer engineer. i spent a decade designing microprocessors, then a couple years supporting them. a lot of my work focused on security and right now i’m transitioning to a pure security role where i will help develop systems more capable of being safely used where security really matters.
  • in my spare time i’m a tech enthusiast. most recently i’ve been 3d printing all sorts of widgets to fix and/or upgrade my kids’ toys :slight_smile: i also built a neat little ‘internet of things’ gadget for my parents; it pops a message up on their phones when the relief valve on their hot water tank releases. did i mention tech enthusiast?

What are your top skills or areas of expertise?

• embedded security? it’s kind of a boring answer… but it’s pretty much the culmination of the last ~13 years of my career.
  • if not that boring answer, then maybe “breaking down complex topics into bite sized pieces and painstakingly taking apart every little bit of them whether they matter or not”. i think that’s one of the things that people either love or hate about me - i tend to be very verbose…
  • i WANT my top skill to be something about enabling others to do great things; as a father that’s pretty much my goal in life, as i’m sure it is for all parents.

Do you have any pets? (We love pet pictures!)

• we’ve got a dog (Jade) and a cat (Sally)

What first attracted you to Republic Wireless?

• i’m very cheap and i love anything that works differently than people expect; RW hits both of those in spades for me.

What was your first Republic phone and what is your current Republic phone?

• first: LG Optimus S in what was eventually known as the “Beta Wave A” group
  • current: Moto Z Play (fantastic phone!)

What is your favorite tip or trick you learned here, and from whom?

• oh that’s a tough one. i’ve been here for a LONG time, i can’t quite say that any one tip was my favorite… i think what i’ve gotten more than anything else around here was the knowledge that we are all in this together - that any problem, big or small, would find some audience participation right here. maybe that’s the tip itself: to ask whatever needs asking without worrying about some unwritten guidelines about what makes a good question versus a stupid one; and the entire community contributes to THAT gem of a tip.

What is your favorite sports team and why?

• NE Patriots; because they keep beating all the teams favored by my in-laws! :smiling_imp:

What are your favorite foods and/or beverages (Share a photo of something you’ve recently cooked or consumed)

• i love to brew beer and my favorite recipe requires first digging 50 lbs of clams (soft-shelled clams, the hard-shelled variety are actually called ‘quahogs’ around here), steaming them, then using the ‘broth’ rather than water to brew the beer. it’s FANTASTIC and for those wondering, no it doesn’t end up tasting at ALL like clams. probably best to avoid it all the same if you’re allergic to shellfish though. (pic is related, lil’bit tried to steal a sip of my Guinness years ago)

What was the last book, blog, TV series, music, video game, or movie you enjoyed, and/or what is your all-time favorite?

• i’m currently listening to ‘Ender’s Game’ as an audio book during my daily commutes. it’s a great listen (and was cheap too, since google play books recently launched audio books with a big discount)
  • my all-time favorite is hard to pinpoint, but a few books get especially high marks from me: [Cryptonomicon], [The Cuckoo’s Egg], and [All of an Instant].

Where is the best place you’ve ever traveled or place you’d most like to visit? (Share a personal travel photo.)

• best? that’s a tough question. i LOVE visiting my family out on Cape Cod though, and even more so i love watching my kids experience the beaches that were so common and benign to me in my youth but which are much more unique and interesting now that we don’t live so close to them.

16 Likes

Great share @bitflung!

3 Likes

Thanks to all of the helpful answers to my questions, I’m about to order a phone and try RW. I think RW will be great, so now I’ll introduce myself. :grinning:

I grew up in the Rockies – where we didn’t have cell phones (or electricity…) (just kidding…) back then. Now cell coverage there is still mostly non-existent. I remember stopping at a remote café that had WiFi… my (then) T-Mobile phone had WiFi Calling, and I was amazed to be able to get my voicemails and make calls without using Skype, etc.

I’m retired, so I try to live cheaply. My main phone number is a Google Voice number. Because of the design (why??) of both GV and Google Project Fi, GV won’t forward to my current Fi phone. That phone has an almost-dead non-replaceable battery, which means the whole phone is basically useless. :imp: It’s time to get a Moto E4 from RW – which has a replaceable battery!

I used to work with computers, programming, and the Internet.

I’m allergic to cats and dogs. I like to travel, so other pets are also out of the question. The joke used to be that I had a Pet Rock (I’m not kidding… they came in boxes… now I’m showing my age).

I came to RW thanks to a friend of mine. With help from this forum, I’ve decided to try RW. I haven’t had any RW phones, but I’m planning to order the Moto E4 after I write this. I like the E4 because of the price and because I can remove/replace the battery – including with an extended-life battery and external charger – which is Heaven if you don’t need a phone that’s the Thinnest and Lightest and Most Fashionable possible, and if you aren’t always close to another power source. (Battery Boosters with USB cords aren’t my favorite “accessories”.)

@southpaw, you suggested sharing my favorite tip or trick. I’m not sure if I should wear out my welcome on RW by posting this :scream:, but here goes. I travel a lot – much of that outside the US. So I’m reluctant to go with RW since there’s basically no international coverage – especially data – except over WiFi. But, since I’m coming to RW from Google Project Fi, here’s a tip: Fi will give you, free, a “data-only” SIM card. Like Fi, it works all over the world for $10/GB. If you have a Fi-compatible phone, you can use Google Maps, make and receive calls through Google Hangouts (synced to your Google Voice account), upload your photos, etc. This is a big part of why I’d give up international coverage to join (I hope!) RW. I’m going to test this setup by taking a forced trip :crazy_face: to Mexico for a few days. Sorry for all of the emoji.

With all of the traveling I do, I’m not sure of a favorite destination. I think it depends on your objectives. If you just want to relax and pig out :sunglasses: then pick a resort… there are especially-cheap ones on the coasts of countries – say, on the western coast of South America – where many North Americans wouldn’t realize they could go. If you’re more adventurous, wow… there are so many places! If you don’t have lots of money (you probably won’t be reading this because you use Verizon :skull_and_crossbones:) I’d suggest learning enough of a foreign (non-US) language to go to places that are Really Different… where they know of English but have no idea how to speak it. If you’re really adventurous, think of a remote part of Peru (etc.) where Spanish is the second language and English isn’t spoken.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, @southpaw. Hi, everyone!

12 Likes

Welcome, @jp.rw!

I have to tell you, earlier today you gave me quite a scare! As I was reading one of your posts, I noticed there was no avatar beside it and thought something had gone horribly wrong with our Community. Very clever, and you gave me a good laugh!

Be sure to thank your friend for sending you our way!

p.s. My mom wouldn’t let me get a Pet Rock. :crying_cat_face:

3 Likes

A change in my tip. I said that Project Fi would give you a data-only SIM card, with no voice or text, an charge only for the data – worldwide. I’d heard that from two of their reps. It seemed too good to be true; I also wondered how they’d identify me if didn’t have a phone number. I called Fi a third time and that rep gave me the bad news: They’ll charge me $20/month for voice and text even if I only use the $10/GB worldwide data.

Then I realized that I could restart my Fi service (on my old Fi phone) before trips and cancel after the trip. He said yes: no extra charge. Since I usually travel for about a month at a time, the $20 won’t be a very expensive part of the cost – and having cell data coverage outside the US (where RW doesn’t work yet – except on WiFi) will be a big help.

BTW, since I started looking into RW yesterday, I’ve seen how helpful it can be to have a forum with lots of people adding info and amending other peoples’ info. Project Fi reps will talk as long as you want (including chatting about things that have nothing to do with Fi!), but they don’t all necessarily have all correct Fi info…

6 Likes

California

I am running my agency wirelesssupport

wireless support and cell phones

NO

6 Likes

Welcome, @rickh.jb8dw2! We’re always glad to see someone with expertise in cell phones and wireless support participating in our Community!

Would you like a less random username?

3 Likes

Thank you

southeast

jack of all trades, “master” of none

no pictures, but yes 9 cats… yes I am a cat person.

price

1st moto e 2nd
now nexus 6p
but have access to nexus 5x, moto g4, moto g4 plus, moto g4 play, moto x pure, and an iphone 7 plus (maybe willing to go beta on RW iphone tests)

way too many to list…

don’t really care for sports, never did get into them, do watch a little English football ( soccer) at times

What are your favorite foods and/or beverages (Share a photo of something you’ve recently cooked or consumed)
rice dishes and tea (hot and iced)

What was the last book, blog, TV series, music, video game, or movie you enjoyed, and/or what is your all-time favorite?
book: blackstone Commentaries on the Laws of England
blog: I guess RW
TV Series: gene roddenberry andromeda
music: classical
movie: Boss Baby
all time favorite: Dr. Who

Where is the best place you’ve ever traveled or place you’d most like to visit? (Share a personal travel photo.)
don’t go anywhere… see below, so no photos

I fall in the category physically disabled, so I no longer work… so it is all spare time…

6 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself to us, @TheDoctor, and for sharing some of your spare time here in our Community helping others.

NINE CATS?!?! :cat:

1 Like

yes
Kitty
óendanlega hátign hans (English translation: his infinite majesty, aka H.I.M.)
Tigger
Doctor
Tegan
Nyssa
One
Zero
Pig

5 Likes

ooh I see a couple references to classic who in that list of names, but no references to the more recent revival?

and are the numbers related to “the prisoner” by chance? I don’t recall a “zero” but memories fade and I thought I’d take a stab at this guess regardless :slight_smile:

• bit
1 Like

just preferences, nothing against latest regeneration.

no, one is an orange female, which is somewhat rare, her sister zero is almost black with a few strands of different color here and there. these 2 or like night and day. so binary, off and on, or one and zero… no ref. to the prisoner, but have seen it…

2 Likes

HEY! Not new at all to RW - been here since Beta days (7 + years give or take) I recommend RW to everyone. Just changed my name (divorce, PHEW! finally!!!) so here goes , a bit about me:

San Fran North Bay Area (Santa Rosa) CA, Why does that sound familiar? Yup, smack in the midst of the firestorms in Oct '17. Made it OK (phew!) but my community is still healing (sigh) but we’ll be all right.

Retired on disability - fibromyalgia - so not “working”. Walk, hike, read, music, party and so on.

You name it, I’ve done it: chef (heres a Red Velvet Cake just made for a friends b’day) Red Velvet Cake, computer programming, sales, office admin & mgt, I even tuned a '61 Rambler when I stopped for gas the other day. LOL

Rudi, my 5 yr old GSD mutt is my main man

Look at that face! Yeah he['s the sweetest boy. We’re going to classes for Rudiboy to be a Therapy Dog, visitng hospital;s; the sick, infirm, senior, bereaved, homeless, etc; ; have a kid Read to a Dog; etc. He’s a natrual for it, They say he’s the Heartbeat of my community here :blush:. Here he is at the local College football game - he’s the mascot , my neighbors are the football teammates.

Also have Mollycat who beats Rudi up, age 11.

Reasonable (!) costs for phone servicei I believed then, and still do now, that we should not have to pay for WiFi.

Honestly dont remember my 1zt phone. A Samsung maybe? Currently have a Moto Plus4. Like it better than the Plus 5 I had prior. I like the extra battery time AND the weight - dont drop it as often!

I learned from the forum (forget his name but thanked him!) how to inactivate my prior phone that someone took.

Sports? We dont need no stinkin’ sports.

Wine, wine and wine. Guess where I live - Sonoma COunty CA - known as Wine Country. See my ID photo.

Hmmm thats tough. I love reading, watching historical fiction esp WWII and/or spy and mystery types. Fir non-fiction I’m learning about the local flora here in No CA - going mushroom hunting next wknd and seaweed foraging after that. Currently watching Peaky Blinders (love the music, based on a real gang and person! Google it. )

Enjoy something of every culture, geographical area. There is no way to say whats best… Tho I’m from the NYC Metro area and in some ways I miss it…

13 Likes

Wow @marlene.ebinger!

Nice to meet you. You have been with RW for quite a while now and we are just meeting you, welcome to RW’s community.

2 Likes

Hi @marlene.ebinger, thanks for introducing yourself! Those are some gorgeous pet photos!

Let us know if you’d like a new username, and we hope to hear from you often. With your computer background, you probably have a lot of interesting insight to share on topics relevant to our Community.

Aaand, now I want cake!

2 Likes

LOL cake is ALWAYS good / Thx but my username is fine. No worries. :smirk:

MArlene

1 Like

THX for the welcome. I have been on , but in the shadows, under my old name. Just updated it. Wanted to finally lose my old married name ya know!? Enjoy the RW experience and the community!

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer