Hands-On Testing of Phones on 5.0

Hands-on testing ONLY. This is not official documentation, or what “should” be. It is the result of hands-on testing by users.

Phone Cell
Calls
SMS MMS VVM Data Wi-Fi
Calls**
Wi-Fi
MMS**
Call
Fwd
Spare
Col
Google Pixel 2 XL :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x: :x:
Google Pixel 3a G020G :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x:
Google Pixel 4 XL :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x:
Google Pixel 5a :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x:
Google Pixel 6 :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x:
Huawei Ascend 5W :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x: :x:
LG K30 (2018) LMX410ULMG :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x: :heavy_check_mark:
Moto G4 XT1625 :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x: :x:
Moto G5 Plus XT1687 :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x: :x:
Moto G6 XT1925-6 :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x: :x:
Moto G7 Play XT1952-4 :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x: :x:
Moto G Power (2022) XT2165-5 (5.0 from Republic) :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Moto G Pure XT2163-4 (5.0 from Republic) :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Moto G Stylus (2020) XT-2043-4 :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x: :x:
Moto One 5G Ace XT2113-2 :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x: :question:
Moto One Action XT2013-4* :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x:
Moto X4 XT1900-1 :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x: :question:
Moto Z2 Play XT1710-01 :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x: :x:
Samsung Galaxy A02s SM-A025U1/DS (5.0 from Republic) :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :heavy_check_mark:
Samsung Galaxy A20 SM-A205U1 :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :heavy_check_mark:
Samsung Galaxy J7 (2018) SM-J737U :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x: :x:
Samsung Galaxy S6 SM-G920T :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x: :x:
Samsung Galaxy S21 SM-G991U1 (BYOP) :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :x: :heavy_check_mark:
Samsung Galaxy Note20 SM-N981U1 :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :heavy_check_mark:
Phone Cell
Call
s
SMS MMS VVM Data Wi-Fi
Calls
Wi-Fi
MMS**
Call
Fwd
Spare
Col

*Moto One Action shows AT&T Compatible on both the Moto and B&H sites but despite this and properly setting all APNs was unable to get any service with 5.0 SIM and latest available update (Nov 2021).

** WiFi calling and WiFi MMS refer to calls and texts where there is no cellular signal. If the phone is on WiFi while cell service is also available, you will have normal cellular calling and cellular texting. To test Wi-Fi only, put the phone into airplane mode, and then reenable Wi-Fi.

9 Likes

@louisdi , so when it says for example an “X” by Wifi Calling or Wifi MMS, does that mean you cant call or text when connected to Wifi, or does it mean if your connected to Wifi calls and MMS just default to cell?

I would hate to be simply connected to Wifi, and not know I would be missing calls and texts. But if while you are connected to Wifi it still uses cell for calls and MMS, and I wouldn’t know the difference, I wouldn’t care as much a user with strong cell connection.

An X means WiFi calling and/or WiFi MMS don’t work over WiFi in the absence of cell signal.

2 Likes

But calls and texts would still work if you have connection to cell, just over cell, with no additional actions by user right?

Yes, that’s why I emphasized absence of cell signal. In the presence of cell signal, calling and text messaging (SMS/MMS) just work.

4 Likes

I’ve added a footnote in the hopes no one else reads that to mean having WiFi on would break normal use of the phone.

3 Likes

I’ve tried everything I can think of on my side to get call forwarding to work on a Pixel 5a. I’ve turned it over to a help ticket to see if Republic Wireless can enable the conditional call forwarding feature, change voicemail parameters, or turn voicemail off completely with their back office systems (I have seen anecdotal evidence that AT&T prepaid, Consumer Cellular, and H2O wireless have been able to do this). :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Added my findings from my A02s phone.
Edit: Wifi calling had to be configured before it worked.

Wow. Thank you LouisDi. This BYOP table is great info. Would it be safe to assume that all phones models sold on the RW store would show check marks across the board?

Candidly, I wouldn’t make that presumption at this time. In particular, visual voicemail and MMS over WiFi are questionable. Though visual voicemail works on the majority of phones tested to date (both purchased from Republic’s store and BYOP), visual voicemail is not an officially supported feature of 5.0 plans at this time. The status of official support for MMS over WiFi remains to be determined.

1 Like

Thanks Rolandh. What I’m looking for is info on the Galaxy S21 sold by RW. I MUST have wifi calling (no cell) and I would really like wifi MMS. Both of these on the BYOP chart are red. I’m hoping this situation will clarify as I have until June to move forward.

The Galaxy S21 on the chart is either a BYOP or an unlocked Galaxy S21 purchased from Republic’s online store prior to announcement of Republic 5.0. Where the phone was purchased at Republic’s online store after the Republic 5.0 announcement it is noted in parentheses after the model name and/or number.

The expectation for the Galaxy S21 or any other phone purchased at Republic’s online store since the announcement of Republic 5.0 is that they are WiFi calling enabled. This chart is a member effort testing with phones available to those members participating.

4 Likes

the Samsung Galaxy S21 on the list i(now labeled BYOP) is mine and it was purchased from Samsung as an unlocked phone just before the 5.0 went live

1 Like

I have added “Google Pixel 3a G020G” and “Moto G6 XT1925-6” to the original post. Thanks!

1 Like

Added “Moto G5 Plus XT1687”. That is the last phone I’ll be able to add hands-on data for.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, my Pixel 6 does everything except WiFi MMS and call forwarding, which I have not tested yet.

2 Likes

I’ve added the Pixel 6 to the table. Based on tests of other Pixels, I’m marking call forwarding as a no. I expect when you try to engage call forwarding using Google’s Phone app, you’ll see a “Network or SIM card error”. Please do advise if that is not the case.

1 Like