Having issues with Google Maps

Having issues with Google Maps. On two recent trips it is delayed- tells me to turn after I have passed the road mile or more before. It happened several times in two different cities. These the first times I have noticed this and it is very frustrating to have to keep turning around and waiting for it to catch up.

1. Make sure your phone location setting is set to high accuracy.

2. If you have been using Google Map while connected to cellular, you might want to try downloading the area map and using it offline if your phone has at least 16GB of memory. An SD memory card can be used to store a bunch of maps if your phone can use one.

Download areas and navigate offline - Android - Google Maps Help

Download an area to use offline

Note: You can store your offline areas on your device or an SD card. If you change the way you store your offline areas, you’ll have to download your offline areas again.

1. On your phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app Google Maps.

2. Make sure you’re connected to the Internet and signed in to Google Maps.

3. Search for a place, like San Francisco.

4. At the bottom, tap the name or address of the place. If you search for a place like a restaurant, tap More More.

5. Select Download Download.

To download a larger area, at step 4 do this instead:

1. Select the menu icon at the top of the screen.

2. Select “Offline areas” from the menu.

3. Select “Custom area.”

4. Adjust the amount of area you wish to download by touching the screen with two fingers and using a pinching motion to adjust the area you wish to download.

5. Download the map.

6. After you have download the map, go into the offline settings menu and make sure you set your settings to automatically update offline area and download preferences to WiFi only.

To save the maximum amount of cellular data, make sure to set “To save cellular data while using Google Maps, go to settings” and select WiFi only. If you wish to use cellular, with the option of using offline areas as needed then don’t select WiFi only.

To use offline areas as needed do the following:

1. Open Google Maps.

2. Select the menu icon at the top of the screen.

3. Select “Offline areas” from the menu.

4. Select the offline area previously downloaded.

Message an
Expert customer