HotSpot compatability - Moto G 1st gen

I used a 3g/4g HotSpot device successfully with my Moto G 1st gen. Freedompop has a deal on a HotSpot device with limited free service but it only is free with 4g. (3g backup is available with monthly billing) . Would my Moto G 1st gen work with the 4g only service. I can’t remember if it was only a 3g compatible phone. Any insight?

The phone doesn’t care whether your hotspot is 3G or 4G, although you will have much better performance on 4G. The phone connects to the hotspot through Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b/g/n).

Hi @royg.h1syb2

I agree with @cbwahlstrom, just curious that we are talking about data and not voip.

Interesting story maybe…

“I signed up for a free FP device and they sent me a “Bolt”. Yes, they offered me some free 4G, but, as you reported there is a charge for 3G. I could not make a “call” on FP. I got ‘unlimited’ data on 4G even though trying to report directly to FP and their community…all agreed just enjoy it while it lasts. The Bolt became useless after a certain date”.

(I didn’t really use much of their data, just found that there was no real limit on my device).

I know FP can be cloogie/ hit and miss. I’m still not clear on your experience. The link to the specific offer I’m interested is for a refurbished Netgear Fuse … $19.99 - Free 4G Wireless LTE w/ Netgear Fuse 4G LTE Hotspot - FreedomPop - Slickdeals.net

I really just want to have the data for navigation and calling/texting features for my RW Moto G 1st gen 3g phone when I’m out on the road. So $19.99 is worth it and then just taking their free plan for limited data, calling and texting.

Is that something you had success with, or did you find that the FP WiFi connection did not provide calling functionality?

I guess the best way to tell is just to order it and test drive it for 30 days, returning it if I can’t make calls.

Any more insight or personal experience you can provide?

The other comment from @cbwahlstrom indicates whether the hotspot connectivity is 3g or 4g shouldn’t affect whether of not my old Moto G phone would work of it … and implies the 4g connectivity the hotspot provides would actually be superior. I’m guessing the 3g backup is just for when your’re in a dead 4g zone that does have 3g. Agreed?

Are you saying that my old Moto G phone should work (calling / texting and data) using an FP hotspot 4g the same as when I test drove with the other hotspot (which was actually provided through my local library). I have no idea when my phone was functioning fine on the road if it was using 3g or 4g.

royg.h1syb2 wrote:

I really just want to have the data for navigation and calling/texting features for my RW Moto G 1st gen 3g phone when I’m out on the road.

Are you on the $5 Republic Wireless plan? Because there’s no reason to rely on a hotspot for calling/texting when you have unlimited calling/texting on cellular with every plan other than the $5 plan. Having extra data is a good reason to have a hotspot, but it’s generally uneccesary for calls/texts.

The other comment from @cbwahlstrom indicates whether the hotspot connectivity is 3g or 4g shouldn’t affect whether of not my old Moto G phone would work of it … and implies the 4g connectivity the hotspot provides would actually be superior. I’m guessing the 3g backup is just for when your’re in a dead 4g zone that does have 3g. Agreed?

Agreed.

Yes, depending on the coverage area of the FP hotspot.

Yes - I’m only on RW $5 WiFi only plan. In the past I have switched to the $10 (and then back to $5 after traveling) when I go on the road just to have cellular calling and texting function during that traveling period. I’d be happy to go for a ONE TIME $20 purchase of a FreedomPop hotspot device that works for me where there is only 4g coverage (knowing there may be a few dead spots - filled by 3g) if I could get the data and VoIP calling / texting working with my older RW Moto G 1st gen 3g phone. @c1tobor indicated the FP hotspot device he purchases did not provide calling/texting capability. Don’t know if that was a fluke or something I should be aware of. As I commented earlier, the only way to really know is to buy it and test it out. But you’re saying I should be fine, right?

Should be OK, but I don’t use Freedompop.

Thanks for your insight and input. I’ve decided to try it … Will provide feedback after I receive it.

Hi again @royg.h1syb2

The free “BOLT” they sent me was a USB device, not necessarily a “HotSpot”. I tried unsuccessfully to tether the Phone/Netbook devices and Netbook/Phone devices to make a call…My devices have changed but they EOL’d my BOLT since then…(end of life).

To summarize, FP in my opinion focuses on 3G(at least at that time). Whereas, they gave me a device that would access their 4G data without restriction(unlimited).

@cbwahlstrom sounds correct to me, and I look forward to your findings.

Message an
Expert customer