How can I transfer my contacts off my broken Moto G1?

I replaced my moto g1 broken screen with a new one. The phone boots up but the touch screen doesn’t work. I decided to order a new moto g4. It’s been activated and my RW account has been moved to the new phone. I’d like to know how I can transfer my contacts, photos, etc. off my old moto g1 that does turn on but the touch screen no longer works. I tried plugging the phones power cord into my computers usb but my computer doesn’t recognize the phone devise. Any suggestions on how I might get my information off the old moto g1 phone and onto the new moto g4 phone? Thanks.

USB on the Go adapter to use a USB mouse to control the old Phone

did you have the contact sync with your Google account (if you did they should be here https://contacts.google.com/ when log into the Google account) if so when you add the same google account they should sync over to the new phone automatically

I would also recommend Google Photo to be set up as an auto backup all photos

first and foremost, please check the following website to see if your contacts were already backed up on google - this backup feature is on by default and you might be backed up without knowing it (unless you knowingly turned it off):

https://contacts.google.com/

if you see your contacts there then you don’t need to worry - just log in to your google account and they will show up automatically within an hour or so.

regarding the rest of your content:

• photos/videos
    • if you had turned on google photos backup you’d likely know it. all the same, please check the following website to see if you might have turned this on without realizing it
    • Google Photos - All your photos organized and easy to find
    • if they aren’t backed up there and your computer doesn’t recognize the phone as a “mass storage device” you are likely in the realm of either losing your content or hiring a local repair shop to attempt recovery for you
      • the repair shop would try mass storage mode (perhaps the issue is with your PC rather than the phone?) and likely has little other option available to them (unless you turned on USB Debugging features in which case there is one more option, but most folks don’t know about and should not want USB Debugging enabled)
  • data within non-google apps
    • unless the app developer provided their own method of backing up data (or used the free google cloud storage option available to all android apps) there isn’t a standard way of recovering this data.
    • if the app developers used cloud storage then your app data will automatically be restored once you log in to the respective apps
  • documents/files/downloads/etc
    • other files (e.g. files you downloaded from the internet) are generally not backed up by anything. your option here. USB mass storage (plugging the usb cable into your PC) is the only intended method of recovering these files.

drm186 wrote:

USB on the Go adapter to use a USB mouse to control the old Phone

did you have the contact sync with your Google account (if you did they should be here https://contacts.google.com/ when log into the Google account) if so when you add the same google account they should sync over to the new phone automatically

I would also recommend Google Photo to be set up as an auto backup all photos

usb mouse - great idea. i read the OP as “the screen is dead” rather than just the touch sensor portion. if the screen itself still displays properly then this is a great approach!

broken screen could be 1) broken glass, 2)touch no longer working or 3) blank screen but with

my old moto g1 that does turn on but the touch screen no longer works
I assumed that the screen at least powers up and displays correctly

I don’t have a google account, so my contacts were not synced. I don’t know anything about the USB Go Adapter. Sounds like my only option. Can you explain? Thanks.

To clarify. I don’t have a google account, so my contacts were never synced on google. Also, my screen is working but not the touch screen. So, I’m not able to type in my pass code to access the phone. This Go Adapter idea sounds promising. I don’t know anything about it and how it works. Can someone explain? Thanks.

Amazon.com: WEme Micro USB 2.0 OTG Adapter, Micro B Male to USB A Female On The Go Converter for Samsung I9250 9100 9220…

in the future I still recommend a google account as android devices just where design around the idea (and makes switching from one phone to another much easier

with out a Google account one can not get access to need app updates (like for the republic app. it can sync contact (one never has to use the gmail option as even a dummy account used just to access the play store and to backup contacts)

Message an
Expert customer