How do I adjust the settings on the Google Maps app?

Hi,

I have a 1st Gen, Moto G. We live in Atlanta, so driving is very weird. But I’ve noticed in the last few months Google Maps will send me WAY out of the way to get to a destination, even if there is nothing more than the usual traffic. I’ve ignored the app several times and went a route I travel often, and it will be relatively clear AND much shorter than the GM app.

My wife and I were in Jacksonville and the GM app wanted to route us to downtown by first taking us southwest, then west, then north. Our hotel was only 1 block from the freeway. We ignored GMaps and drove 1 block over to the interstate and headed downtown.

Why is Google Maps taking us out of our way?

Thanks,

Please make sure Google Maps is updated. Please go to Google Play Store
Tap on the 3 bars in the upper left corner
Tap on My Apps & Games
Update Maps

Just for some phone maintenance, clear the Android System Cache/Partition. Takes about 20 minutes and will NOT delete personal data:

1. Turn off your phone and remove any charging cables.

2. With the phone off, press and hold both the VOL DOWN and POWER buttons at the same time for 2-3 seconds, then release both buttons.

3. The phone will display different boot options. Use VOL DOWN to scroll through the options to RECOVERY MODE and press the VOL UP button to select.

4. The phone will display the Motorola logo, then the Android figure lying down with an exclamation point with the words No Command underneath. Press and hold the POWER button and tap the VOL UP button. Note: If you wait too long to perform this step, the phone will reboot and you’ll need to start the process again.

5. The phone will display additional menu options, with text in blue. Use the VOL DOWN button to scroll to Wipe Cache Partition and press the POWER button to select it. The cache wipe will begin immediately.

6. After the Cache Wipe is complete, the blue text menu items will reappear, with “Reboot system now” highlighted. Press the POWER button to select it.

Please go to Settings when finished:

Tap on Location
Tap on Mode and set to High Accuracy

Next calibrate location:

Open Google Maps
Tap on the 3 bars in the upper left corner
Scroll down to Help
Tap on Find and Improve your location’s accuracy
Follow the instructions to calibrate.

Once calibration is completed, hopefully you’ll get better results.

Hi @johnd.8e056v

It wasn’t all that long ago that I remember using maps, and bought a dedicated GPS navigation device.

The phones are a lot more capable today to perform the same functions. However, they are by no means perfect, but pretty darn good. I ignore the directions when I know they are incorrect, and sometimes just to see if she/he can re-route fast enough. :smiling_imp:

There are settings to consider.

• Fastest Route: The route that you can maintain the highest MPH.
  • Shortest Distance: A direct line to the destination regardless of the speed.

There are other factors to consider as well.

Just my $0.02 worth.
:slightly_smiling_face:

edied for grammar

To my knowledge, Google Maps doesn’t have those settings any more, since it now has Traffic feature. It will automatically detour for traffic incidents, similar to Waze app. I know you can appreciate this experience, @johnd.8e056v. Google with it’s Traffic feature saved me some time when a storm took out a traffic light on 278 near the GICC, Collage Park. It gave me the one and only detour around the bad light.

Thanks, for what it’s worth, I fear venturing into Gmaps settings… :neutral_face:

Just checked my maps and while navigating one can bring up the overhead full route map and go to route setting and check avoid, highway, tolls, and ferries

These are the only settings that I see. Just to note that Maps was updated recently, what am I missing here?:

The settings I talking about is that last pic except on my it says highways and not motorways

Ok, I see what you mean now. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.