How do I delete Apps on Moto X (2nd Gen)

I deleted several apps on Moto X 2nd gen and there still is not sufficient storage to download new apps of only 16.3 mb. I deleted larger apps and cannot even reinstall the apps I deleted previously. I hope someone can help me with this. I searched the Q&A and didn’t find anything.

Hi @sharig
The fastest way to clear space is to plug the cord into the phone and a computer & delete pictures or videos off.
How many apps do you have?

1 Like

I have 14 or so apps. I deleted a banking app to make room for a new one and the new one took less memory than the old one. I then deleted 3 more apps and it still tells me that there is not enough storage. I looked under account preferences and it states I am using 6.1 GB of 15 GB (41%).

Where are you downloading the app from? Do you have an Antivirus app? Some of them like AVG antivirus free will clean unneeded clutter from the phone.
This app will clean up the phone.
Clean Master Lite - For Low-End Android Phone

AVG AntiVirus FREE for Android Security 2017

1 Like

What tells you there is not enough storage? Can you take a screenshot and post it here?

How to Take a Screenshot

I do not recommend Clean Master and AVG antivirus products. They have been known to cause issues with WiFi in the very recent past.

2 Likes

I thought for a quick clean job then delete them actually.

Good Idea.

Also try going to settings > Storage and see how much “cached data” you have. Then tap “cached data” and agree to clearing it. Then try installing your app. I find that to be the quickest way to free up data when I get a “not enough storage” message. If you have never done this, you might be able to free up a lot of space.

1 Like

I don’t know how to take a screen shot and post it here easily. I go to the Play Store to download the apps, then I get the yellow triangle with the ! inside and it says Not enough space. Then it lists all my apps and says that I need 70.12MB. They told me this particular app is only 21.8 MG, but it could take more to run it. Of all the apps listed my Yahoo Mail seems to use the mos at 575 MB. I wonder if there is an easy way to delete those emails on the phone? Maybe I should uninstall it and reinstall it. Any ideas.

I don’t know i I have an antivirus app. I don’t think I ever installed one myself. Does the phone come with one?

Please go into Settings-Storage and tell us what is says there for each category.

I’ve never done it. What is cashed data? Does it have my stored passwords and cookies? I have 167MB cached data.

Toal space=10.17GB
Available 461 MB
Apps 7.11 GB
Pictures, videos 138 MB
Audio 168 MB
Downloads 413 MB
Cached data 167 MB
Misc. 483 MB

1 Like

After you delete apps you need to restart the phone to purge them from the phone’s memory. A simple restart (holding the power button until the screen goes blank) is not sufficient. You need to power the phone down and the power it back up.

I cleared the cache data and was able to download the app I wanted and make a mobile deposit. Thanks much. I appreciate everyone’s help and this worked!!! :grinning:

1 Like

Toal space=10.17GB
Available 461 MB
Apps 7.11 GB
Pictures, videos 138 MB
Audio 168 MB
Downloads 413 MB
Cached data 167 MB
Misc. 483 MB

7.11 GB apps in 14 or so and she deleted 3 more and a banking app! :fearful:

i cleared the cache data and was able to download my banking app. I have not tried to download the other apps I wanted and deleted to make room for this one.

Glad that clearing the cache worked. Clearing the cache doesn’t delete passwords and cookies. The phone, like a desktop computer, saves data when you use apps to make it quicker/easier to load the app the next time but that stored data is not necessary. I find that there is something about the way that the data is stored that seems to block access to memory areas that should be free. In other words, you had 167MB of cached data but it made even more of that unavailable. I’m not a real techie, so that is just how it seems to me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer