How do I determine if an upgrade from a Moto g to a Moto g4 play would be a good choice for me?

Base on cell coverage and storage.

Presuming you have a Moto G (1st Gen) with 8 Gb storage the Moto G Play has twice the storage at 16 Gb. Coverage should be the same since the Moto G Play (4th Gen) works with CDMA.

My coverage isn’t very good many places or times, even at home, and even though I supposedly have coverage based on my zip code. Doesn’t Republic pull from any satellite available? And is that the same for any Moto phone?

Coverage is strictly WiFi or cell which is true for Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc.

I recommend you look at the T-Mobile (GSM) and Sprint (CDMA) coverage maps to see which one works best for you. If the GSM coverage looks better we can help you get a GSM phone. Your present phone is CDMA.

The coverage looks about the same. What is a GSM phone vs CDMA?

CDMA is the 2G/3G cell technology used by Sprint and Verizon (Republic partner is Sprint https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp ) the following list are the CDMA compatible phones

also the following phone can be GSM BYOD

For the Samsung Galaxy J3

• MMB29K.J320AUES2APJ2
  • MMB29K.J320AUEU1APE9
    Please note: The AT&T branded version of this phone is not compatible with our service.

For the Samsung Galaxy S6

• MMB29K.G920TUES5DQB1
  • MMB29K.G920TUES5DQA1
  • MMB29K.G920TUES5DPL1
  • MMB29K.G920TUES5DPK1
  • MMB29K.G920TUES5DPI2
  • MMB29K.G920TUES4DPH2
  • MMB29K.G920TUEU4DPG2
  • MMB29K.G920TUES4DPF1
  • MMB29K.G920TUEU3DPD6
    Please note: The T-Mobile branded version of this phone is not compatible with our service.

GSM and CDMA are two very different cell phone technologies. Among the major carriers, Sprint and Verizon are CDMA; AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM.

Republic Wireless is an MVNO (think reseller) of both Sprint and T-Mobile hence both technologies are available.

When you run RW’s coverage check they analyze the coverage for your ZIP code and base their recommendations on which technology offers the best coverage. If you run that, and you see that some models have been excluded from their recommendation then you know they feel CDMA is your best choice. Your present phone is CDMA so your coverage is approximately what you see when you look at the Sprint coverage map.

In my opinion (many will disagree) the coverage checker doesn’t always produce ideal results. Like I said, it is based on ZIP code and a person can live in one ZIP (or on the margins of that ZIP) and work in a different ZIP. For years with Verizon and RW I had CDMA coverage which is marginal at my home. I now have GSM coverage, also marginal at home, but GSM works better for me when I’m away from home in areas I frequent.

I should mention that GSM is the only technology used in Europe and elsewhere on the planet. Verizon has indicated they will be switching to GSM and I suppose Sprint will do that either outright or if the merge with T-Mobile as speculated.

Cell coverage is what it is. Signals are weaker indoors than outdoors, Outdoors the signals can be obstructed by tall buildings and varies with atmospheric conditions and terrain. The best one can do is look at the coverage maps not just from where you live but taking into consideration where you work or travel. Actually, if you have good WiFi at home (I do) then the coverage at home is the least of your worries since the RW phones work very well on good WiFi.

We just got home from vacation two days ago and I just realized the special $99 offer on the Moto g4 play expired yesterday while I’ve been unpacking and trying to determine if I want to upgrade to this phone. Can I still get in on the $99 offer today since I made up my mind?

Being a customer just like you, I can’t answer that question however you might be able to work something out with RW by either opening a service ticket or chat session. To do that, click on Help at the top of this page and scroll down to the link that opens a ticket. If the Chat operator is available the chat link will appear after you click on the link to open a ticket. I see there is still a deal on the Moto G (4th Gen)

If you don’t mind lockscreen ads and if you have an Amazon Prime membership there is this deal:

Amazon.com: Moto G Play (4th gen.) - Black - 16 GB - Unlocked - Prime Exclusive - with Lockscreen Offers & Ads: Cell Pho…

If you buy the phone from RW you will get one that works with the Sprint coverage map. If you take the Amazon offer you will also have to buy a SIM and the phone will work with T-Mobile.

Amazon.com: Republic Wireless SIM Starter Kit: Cell Phones & Accessories

Message an
Expert customer