How do I do The Old Switcheroo for phones

Wife has Moto X Pure. I want to buy her a Moto z4 and take the Pure, and return my Moto E 2nd Gen. we have no data plans. can this be done? can i keep the phone numbers as they are? no SIM cards are involved.

and side question, does the Moto z4 only come in Flash Gray color?

what you want to do is possible I have a questions that will help with the procedure

1. Are you buying from Republic (who only has the Flash Grey color) or from a 3rd party (Motorola site/amazon) which may also have a white color options)

2. what SIM type does the republic app report in the about phone (open the Republic app and tap the :gear: then about phone the SIM type will be listed under the phone number)

I will note all 3 of the phone listed have SIM cards
the Moto E 2nd Gen CDMA SIM is linked to the phone and should not be moved to another as it will not work in any other phone)

Note: currently the Moto Z4 Play can only be activated by republic on it’s GSM partner (T-Mobile) (CDMA aka Sprint support is expected to come later this year)

2 Likes

hmm, shows you what i know i guess. I was not aware my phones have SIMs. I have never done anything with them. anyway, Yes would buy Z4 from Republic

will the T-mobile only create an issue with cell service? I assume my other phones currently have both?

with Republic it’s one or the other, the Moto E 2nd is CDMA only (it was released before there was a GSM partner) the Moto X Pure could be either one depending on SIM issued

if you give us a zip code we can look up your GSM coverage.

as your ordering from Republic the easiest thing to do is to activate the Moto Z4 (SIM will come installed) as a line replacement to the Moto X Pure though it’s Republic App (this will move the number over to the Moto Z4 and deactivate the Moto X Pure) then reactivate the the Moto X Pure as a line replacement to the Moto E 2nd (this will move the number to the Moto X Pure and deactivate the Moto E 2nd, you will need to use a My choice plan as the current plan of the Moto E 2nd is not compatible with newer phones

1 Like

Zip code 11779

so I would need to wait for the Moto Z4 to deliver. looks like it’s a couple weeks backorder at this time. but once it arrives I would make the switch?

how do i do that? through the App you are saying once i get the phone? how long does this take? minutes, or days?

yeah bummer, I really like my Republic Refund plan, but i guess it’s time to move on from my Moto E. mostly running out of space is the issue. everything else on it works fine. Republic will not buy it back?

you should be ok with either carrier partner in that location
here the GSM coverage map https://maps.t-mobile.com/pcc.html?map=mvno-roamd-34l

vs the CDMA map https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp

great, thank you for the maps. so I would need to wait for the Moto Z4 to deliver. looks like it’s a couple weeks back order at this time. but once it arrives I would make the switch?

how do i do that? through the App you are saying once i get the phone? how long does this take? minutes, or days?

yeah bummer, I really like my Republic Refund plan, but i guess it’s time to move on from my Moto E. mostly running out of space is the issue. everything else on it works fine. Republic will not buy it back?

once you get the phone you would open the Republic App :rw_3: (download from the Google Play if it’s not on the Moto Z4 though it should be if you purchased from Republic) this is the same app that is already on the Moto X Pure

the app will walk you though the activation (signing in to your account and giving the option of replacing a line)
https://account.republicwireless.com/activate/

10-4 thank you!

1 Like

your welcome

will Republic buy back my Moto E 2nd Gen?

Republic has no buy back options at this time (and I do not expect any to be offered in the future)

the best bet is to factory reset (after removing any screen locks) and sell it on eBay or Swappa or keep it as a backup

2 Likes

ok, great, thanks again

Just to add to the thread, I’ve used a T-Mobile configured Republic phone all over Long Island with great success. The only places I’ve seen coverage gaps are at the east end beaches where the only carrier with any usable coverage is Verizon (and even their coverage is eh). Otherwise, I greatly prefer the T-Mobile coverage over the Sprint coverage there.

2 Likes

perfect, thanks for sharing @louisdi

see you around the island

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer