How Do I Eliminate "Rainbow Effect" With Tempered Glass Screen Protector?

I recently got a new Moto X4. I installed a Supershieldz tempered glass screen protector. I was extremely careful, and followed all installation instructions. But I still have the dreaded blob called the “Rainbow Effect” or “Newton’s Rings”.

Has anyone else had this problem with this phone or this brand of screen protector?

Any solution?

Thanks!!!

Hi @nckp.ipi2si,

I feel your pain! I’ve never managed to master the art of applying a tempered glass screen protector to a phone. My solution was to give up and take my phone to Best Buy’s Geek Squad. Perhaps, another Community member will have a better suggestion?

Sometimes the rainbows will disappear by themselves. It might take a day or two. Something about heat from the screen that over time dissipates gasses from the glass. Patience is your friend. Post back if that solves your issue.

Depending on the screen protector, it might never go away. This is the most common complaint on many glass screen protectors on Amazon. If the screen protector has adhesive only around the edges, then the center of the protector is going to remain rainbowed. Scrolling through the Amazon reviews about half seem to love the Supershieldz product and the other half complain about the rainbow effect or about the grid of dots on the protector.

Never. In my Experience, can you get rid of any effect or distortion screen protectors do the the display. The closest ones to invisible are those “wet” thin protective kits that are much alike the special plastic coating they put on cars.

Personally, I haven’t used any forum of screen protector on any of my phones for many years now. I have never manged to scratch a screen, drops, or keys in pockets scenarios. The glass on todays (flagship) phones are well hard enough to not scratch. I also pay nearly $1K for the flagship phone with a beautiful screen, I can not justify sullying the quality of it by putting some annoying overlay over it that blurs it a bit.

Just my 2 cents.

Many thanks to you all for your replies!

Further bushwacking through the Google jungle reveals that what may be happening here is a phenomenon called “Newton’s Rings,” in which a thin air space exists between a piece of curved glass and a piece of flat glass, and light reflects in a particular way between them, causing blob-like visual patterns resembling oil spills The only kink in this theory is that both the screen of the MotoX4 and the Supershieldz tempered glass screen protector are, technically, flat. Seems like the problem occurs more frequently with phones that have curved glass screens, onto which people try to apply flat screen protectors.

There are DIYers on YouTube who say they remedy this by removing the glass screen protector,
cleaning off all the adhesive around the edges, replacing it with a very thin piece of double-sided Scotch tape, and re-installing the screen protector using the tape. They claim that the Scotch tape is slightly thicker than the original factory adhesive, and that tiny additional thickness creates slightly more distance between the screen protector and the screen, and that increased distance is enough to eliminate the “Newton’s Rings” effect. I haven’t tried that method.

The company who makes the protective case I bought, Spigen, makes highly regarded tempered glass screen protectors for many Apple and Samsung phones, but not for the Motorola Moto X4. Instead, they recommend and sell a “nano liquid” screen protector that you pour onto the screen and let harden.

Does anyone here have any experience with this “liquid” type of product?

Thanks!

Hi @nckp.ipi2si,

I see no one has volunteered any comments about these liquid screen protectors.

We sell the Gadget Guard product in our online store.
https://republicwireless.com/shop/accessories/gadget-guard-black-ice-liquid-screen-protector-plus/

I understand you were hoping to hear from others before trying such a product on your phone, and I’m sure others are, as well.

If you’d be willing to write a thorough, honest, unbiased review of the product here in our #reviews category after trying it, I’ll be glad to provide a coupon so you can try it for free.

Understanding that you may not want to put such a product to the test on your phone, if you do not want to give it a try and write a review, I’ll make the offer available to one or two others, if someone else here wants to volunteer. You have first dibs.

I’m typically not one to toot my own horn (unless I’m driving and the person in front of me is stopped at a red light staring at a cell phone instead of moving through the intersection…and technically speaking that would be my vehicle’s horn and not my own…but I digress…) however I posted a possible solution to this problem above. I did so without any personal experience to back up my claim that waiting a few days might get rid of the rainbows. I simply researched the issue online and shared it here.

Anyway, I recently acquired a new Moto X4 that arrived on Friday January 11. Having never used a tempered glass screen protector before I decided to give it a go. Found one on Amazon and it arrived on January 14. Followed the instructions carefully, watched the online video, applied it carefully and it was indeed rainbow free…for about three hours. :confounded:

Sure enough a 1/2" by 1" blob appeared smack dab in the middle of my screen. After the shock of this travesty wore off, I laughed the whole thing off. (Not the blob ridden protector, obviously, but my reaction to it…) Jumping into action I then tried rubbing on it and heating it with a hair dryer for a short time. The blob lingered. I debated taking the screen protector off because although the rainbow effect wasn’t horribly distracting, it was nevertheless present. I opted to leave it on.

This morning I picked up my phone and sure enough the rainbow is GONE! Don’t know where it went. Don’t care where it went. Just keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn’t come back. YMMV, but maybe patience really is a virtue…

closed #9

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.