How do I prepare my old Moto X g1 for sale?

Sorry, cannot fathom how to search for this.

How do I make my Moto X g1 suitable for selling?

Good Morning @davidj72,

First step is to factory reset: Factory Reset – Republic Help. Please note Republic’s guidance in that document regarding your phone’s “kill switch”.

Additional guidance for selling here: Buying and Selling Used Republic Wireless Phones – Republic Help.

Thanks!

I’m not getting the ‘kill switch’ bit. How do I know if it’s activated?

Also, how do I know if my Republic account has been closed on this phone? I have a new E4 that’s handling my account now, but I don’t know if the Moto X has been automatically switched off the Republic service.

You’re welcome!

It’s activated by default. From the factory reset documentation I linked, here’s how to prepare the phone for sale, so as not to trigger it for your purchaser:

If you’re performing a factory reset prior to selling your phone, giving your phone to someone else, or returning your phone, please ensure you have removed any screen locks and have removed the “Kill Switch” protection by performing your factory reset through the Settings menu. Performing a factory reset through recovery mode or from a remote source won’t remove the “Kill Switch” protection feature. If you’re sending your phone back to Republic for any reason, you must remove this feature in order to be eligible for a refund or to avoid being charged for a replacement phone. Please review our Return and Replacement Policy‌ for more info.

If you’re performing a factory reset through the Settings app, you’ll need to verify your screen lock (pin, pattern or password) before your phone will perform the reset.

If you’re performing a factory reset through Recovery mode, you’ll need to verify with the Google email address and password that was entered during the phone setup process before you can get back into your phone. If you have not set up a Google account with your phone, please do so before performing a factory reset through Recovery mode.

Please disregard the references to Republic’s Return and Replacement Policy as that doesn’t apply to this circumstance.

Presuming you moved the phone number from your Moto X to your new E4, the Moto X was deactivated as part of the process. You may verify that when signed into your Republic account here: Phones | Republic Wireless. You should not see the Moto X there unless you scroll down to, then click “Canceled Phones”.

Sorry, those paragraphs are the ones I didn’t fully understand.

It looks like, if I use the factory reset, the kill switch is deactivated. Is that right?

How do I know if I’ve set a screen lock PIN, pattern or password?

Doggone it. On the Phones screen that I get, it has only my new Moto E4 phone. There’s nothing to scroll down to, especially not “canceled phones.”

Don’t worry about it. If the Moto X isn’t listed among your active phones, it’s canceled.

So long as their is no screen lock, yes.

Do you need to enter a PIN, pattern or password to get to the phone’s home screen. If not, there is no screen lock and the kill switch is disabled.

Thanks for your patience.

I think I’m finally on board with the answers I need!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.