How Do Scammers Call You With Your Own Phone Number?

I saw this on my local news tonight.

What u all think? Get any spam calls from yourself (or a contact) ?

As often seems to be the case, your local news is merely catching up to something that’s not really news as this has been going on for some time now.

Spoofing (impersonating) Caller ID isn’t terribly difficult. The article you linked referenced one way. There are apps for that.

Additionally, there are Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service providers (Republic is not one of them) that allow one to spoof Caller ID. There are perfectly legitimate reasons for spoofing Caller ID. The most common legitimate use case is showing the number one wants to be called back at. Anyone who’s ever received a call from a toll-free number has received a call from a spoofed Caller ID. By definition toll-free numbers only receive calls. One cannot call from a toll-free number. On the other hand, one doesn’t even need a telephone number to make calls. They’re only required to receive calls.

Sadly, like all technology, the ability to spoof Caller ID can be used for illegitimate as well as legitimate purposes. So long as one “owns” the number being spoofed and isn’t engaged in fraudulent or otherwise illegal acts; spoofing Caller ID is entirely legal. For example, one might want to make a call using another service but showing their Republic number for Caller ID as the number one is “calling” from. Since one’s Republic number is one’s own, there’s nothing wrong with doing so. If you’re’ asking why anyone would want to do that remember Republic phones cannot natively call numbers other than U.S. or Canadian numbers: Calling International Numbers with a Republic Phone.

Actually, in my area, this exact issue is fairly new to folks here. (it seems)

Rotodial, Spammer, Scammers, etc calls are nothing new.
My folks (who are now 75) get them all the time. Myself, very rarely, because my number is not well known or given out to many.

But in many years now of getting the normal spam calls, my folks and others i know here have only ever gotten a call from “themselves” once or twice and only very recently. Or something similar, when Like their house phone rings saying its one of their cell phones calling, when the phone is in its case on the livingroom table not being used (that was a bit spooky for them, lol).

I have received calls to my home phone where my home phone number was spoofed as the caller. It’s a bit disorienting, as I answer the call thinking, “That’s a number I know!” Duh…

Once I realize I’ve been duped, I’m not terribly concerned about it from a security perspective, since spoofing the number you’re dialing would not require any knowledge about me.

Now that would creep me out. That would suggest the caller knows the association between these two numbers, perhaps by having accessed a third-party’s contacts.

It’s a theoretical possibility. Typically, predictive dialers (the polite term for the equipment used for robocalling) are used to call hundreds if not thousands of numbers sequentially. That’s why one sometimes answers the phone only to find dead air. There aren’t enough human operators to interact with everyone who answers the spam call.

Generally, a single number (often local) is being spoofed as outbound Caller ID. It would be unusual for a robocaller to take the time to attempt to make the spoofed Caller ID look personal beyond being in the same local area. So, if one’s home and mobile numbers (or other combination of numbers) are local to one another, it might also simply be random happenstance albeit a disconcerting one.

Folks often wonder how their ‘unpublished’ number falls prey to spammers. Many times they’ve “published” it themselves without realizing it. For example, I’m a registered voter in Florida. Voter records are public information but many don’t realize that. If one provides the state of Florida with one’s phone number (as requested) as part of one’s voter information record, well…

For anyone who would like to receive a call from their own number, please feel free to DM me that number and I’ll make it happen for you. :smiling_imp: For those who don’t do emoji, I’m not serious.

Just a quick Google search reveals several websites that u just input the info into…and it will call the person with ur inputed “Spoofed” info. Free and paid.

There also are apps u can put on ur phone to do this as well, of course.

But I don’t at all recommend messing with such sites or apps, unless u are tech savy and use a secondary computer or device…as virus/malware is a risk.

Nor do I but for a more obvious reason. While your ultimate target wouldn’t have your phone number, the man in the middle (provider of referenced app or site) would.

Anyway my facetious offer need not involve any of that. Those who know me know I’ve been using VoIP technology longer that I’ve been an active member of this Community. In a previous reply, I referenced VoIP service providers who allow their customers to make legitimate use of Caller ID spoofing. I do business with multiple service providers who allow for this.

If one wants to go full on geek, they might set up their own software PBX (Asterisk for example). The technology is widely available.

Please know reputable service providers monitor their networks. It’s not difficult for them to discern calling patterns indicative of use of predictive dialing (a/k/a robocalling). The proof of concept I jokingly refer to wouldn’t be detected. For any reputable service provider, robocalling is a violation of their Terms of Service (TOS). Were I to engage in robocalling using the facilities of any of the service providers I do business with, they’d quickly shut me down because they are reputable. Of course, the criminals always manage to find a disreputable service provider.