How do you delete a text in Anywhere and not have it still show on desktop?

I decided to try out Anywhere tonight (well, this morning…can’t sleep), and all these old texts showed up in the phone app and on the Windows desktop app. I already read that you can’t delete (only archive) texts on the desktop app, so I deleted the texts on the phone app (long press, trashcan), but they’re still showing up on my desktop.

I was using Textra for a long time, and always delete my texts, so I was surprised that all this old stuff showed up from previous months when I installed Anywhere on the phone. I deleted Textra, did a system cache wipe, wiped Anywhere data and cache and started that over, and now there’s nothing showing up on the phone app or in Archived on the phone app, but I still have a big list of old texts on the Windows app. Any ideas? Does it maybe take a while for the server to catch up on the Windows app? Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks! I read that earlier, but I guess I didn’t believe that it was true. LOL. Back to Textra.

you can find where it is installed by looking in the following directory

C:\Users\ “your user id”\AppData\Local\republicanywhere\app-1.5.7

“your user id” is of course your user id in the directory Users
the AppData directory is hidden, in most cases and you will need to go into the options and click on
show hidden folders
app-1.5.7 is the version number. I would say the next verison will put it in the then next version number directory , ex. app-1…5.8 or something like that

now as far as where the messages are stored and how they are stored, don’t know yet.
if it is a file on the computer, and what format, might be able to edit the file and remove the texts, or they can just add a delete to it…

looks like the working directory for the data (texts) is

C:\Users\ “your user id”\AppData\Roaming\Republic Anywhere

after closing the anywhere app, exit, was able to delete the files containing the texts from the above directory, but when you click on the anywere app to reopen/start it, it will sync with the RW text server and reload them all back on the computer…

so it is up to RW to add the delete of the text messages from RW’s servers
BTW, is there some legal reason RW will not delete TEXT messages, or some statue of limitation, that they have to retain TXT msg. for an amount of time?

1 Like

Delete from the device exists for the Anywhere Android app, however, in and of itself, deleting from the device doesn’t delete from Republic’s servers. By the way, this would be equally true regardless of messaging app and service provider.

In other words, deleting a thread on one’s Android device using Textra, Android Mesages or other messaging app of choice doesn’t necessarily remove the content from Republic’s or anyone else’s servers. It’s quite possible text messages you’ve sent to others exist (and are potentially retrievable) on the servers of their service provider. Standard text messaging is not (and was never designed to be) a means of secure private communication.

Generally, we are more than sufficiently protected by obscurity. The vast majority of us are not of sufficient interest to third parties that they’d go to the trouble of bothering with our text message content. Otherwise, the old rule of thumb very much applies. If one is concerned about someone else seeing it, one might not want to put it in writing. Remember, the other side of the conversation has a copy. By far, that’s the most likely source of trouble if trouble were to ensue.

4 Likes

It’s not a privacy concern for me. My texts are pretty much all cute animal pictures my mom sends me every day, or discount offers from companies I deal with. It’s mostly my OCD…“Why is there this huge list of texts that I deleted!”. That, and the glaring white of the phone app. I am not ready for it, I guess.

Among the points I’m trying to make is deleting text messages on your phone using Textra no more (or less) deletes them from Republic’s servers than Anywhere. And, like Textra, Anywhere on the phone (though not the desktop) will delete not just archive.

2 Likes

Great, thanks for the info!

This common argument certainly applies to national security as related to terrorism. In a much broader context we have domestic relations, cyber stalking, industrial espionage and all manner of negotiations. I wish I had a solution but handling all forms of communications, including letter mail, typically involves a third party. You will recall that my question to RW was ‘who on their staff has access to the Anywhere data’ remains unanswered. I asked that because there was a time when I managed a POP server. Yes, I would have to turn over email messages in response to a subpoena but remember, to do that I and my staff could readily access those messages and our clients simply had to trust us.

Bill, my professional background is banking. There are few things more sensitive to folks than their financial information. It’s, of course, true that in order to have functional lives, we entrust a great deal of confidential information to third parties every day.

To the extent such information is available and subject to legal process it’s available to third parties with appropriate court order. It’s also available to the employees of the businesses we choose to trust with that information. Out of curiosity, have you asked your bank, which of its employees has access to your financial records? To a certain extent, one must trust.

Yes, I;m personally acquainted with the President of my bank, her bookkeeper, and many but not all of her employees. I’m also aware that the personal connections one has with their bank can be both an asset and a liability. Quite a few years ago, before I retired, my company managed their data processing system so, at that time, another level of trust was involved since we had complete control over their data base and backups.

closed #12

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer