How does a current customer buy a plan and add a line?

how to transfer service

I want to buy the new sim card + new $20/mo plan on the new network provider (which I believe is AT&T). Anyways, how do I do this as a current Republic Wireless customer?

I hope in the future, there will be the ability to have annual plans, too with the new plans. I’ve never gotten an annual plan from Republic Wireless, but I may do so in the future.

This will require a new account for the new plans.

Okay, so I basically get service on the new plans as a “new” customer with new login details?

If this is the case, I think it would be good on the new website to have a disclaimer for existing customers that login to tell them they need to create a new account to have service and/or have some sort of disclaimer on their website for existing customers to tell them how to proceed. It would also be nice if I didn’t have to create a new account, but that personally isn’t too big of a deal for me either.

Ideally, I would like to buy a sim card and a new plan tonight and just start testing out this service. I think it’ll be interesting.

1 Like

I believe this is a temporary situation. Since there’s no longer mixing and matching of plans on a single account, if wanting to leave some lines on grandfathered plans while moving others to new plans, a new account is necessary. If one has two or fewer lines in their current account and wants to move them to the same new plan, it will eventually be possible to do that without creating a new account.

That said, if it were me, I’d create the new account and not port my current number from My Choice. Leaving My Choice is a one-way trip and my strong suggestion would be to take advantage of the money back guarantee on new plans and make sure they’re a fit first.

2 Likes

Thanks for your suggestion. I might try out the new plan briefly before porting my number, which I think is okay for me because:

1. There is a Cricket store in my same small town. (For those who don’t know Cricket is owned by AT&T and runs off of their towers).

2. I’ve recommended several people to use Cricket who live/have lived around 45 minutes away from me, and they were on Cricket’s service for probably at least 2 years (or more).

3. When I lived around 45 minutes from where I live now, for the most part, I enjoyed using Cricket service.

4. I’m okay with testing out new cellphone service. In the past decade, I personally tested out service with Verizon, Straight Talk, Wal-mart Family Mobile, Aio Wireless, Cricket Wireless, Total Wireless, and Republic Wireless.

BTW, because of Republic Wireless having a new network partner (which I believe is AT&T) on they’re new plans, I think Republic Wireless will get a stronger and higher recommendation from me when I talk with those who are thinking to switch from higher priced plans. Having potentially better nationwide coverage can be a benefit for those who are especially concerned about their signal and have not switched carriers a lot in their life. Obviously, I know coverage is mainly important where you live and frequent, but it also helps to have potentially better nationwide coverage, too.

With my current Republic Wireless service (on the my choice plans), I have some dead zones on a route maybe 30ish minutes away from me that I rarely drive, so I definitely want to see if those dead zone disappear with this new service.

Porting later Porting an existing number to the new plan must be done at activation. Bringing it to the service line after a new number has been assigned is not an option on the new plans like it has been in the past. But you can make use of the Money Back Guarantee to try things out with a new phone number, then get a new line and port for real when you’re ready.

(Porting out is always an option.)

(I’ve edited this reply because my statement that “porting later is not an option” sounded like we were operating the Hotel California - where you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave :grin:)

3 Likes

Few questions… I just got a pop up “This topic has been solved”… so where should I post about converting over?

I think you still can talk on this thread. It’ll be moved if southpaw, an expert, or an ambassor think it’s off topic, but it doesn’t seem like it is, so just disregard that warning you saw.

The point of the warning is to dissuade someone who needs help from asking in a solved question, because some Community members may focus on “unsolved” topics as those still needing help. It also intends to dissuade people from “piling on” once someone has gotten the help they need.

If you just want to chime in, you can.

Well, I was just trying to find the best topic to post under. :slight_smile: I went and posted under the other topic header.

What do you mean porting later is not an option? That would seem to violate an FCC rule as far as I can tell. Porting: Keeping Your Phone Number When You Change Providers | Federal Communications Commission

This is referring to moving the number within Republic from one plan to another (not from Republic to another carrier). It’s not possible to move your number from one activated line to another activated (new plan) line that has already been assigned a number.

Hi @Tachyonic53,

Can you please point me to the part that says you have to be able to transfer a number to a new provider even after you’ve activated? I thought most companies have you move the number at activation.

(To be clear, I’m not arguing with you as to legality or whether or not it’s in that document, I’m just not seeing it and would like to have it in front of me when I double-check my understanding of the new process.)

As I read the article on the FCC website, the first sentence would seem to indicate that

If you’re switching service providers and remaining in the same geographic area, you can keep your existing phone number.

Later in the Service issues for wireline to wireless transition section it states

If you port from a wireline phone to a wireless phone, there may be a period when you have two telephones with the same number. Ask your new wireless company whether you will be able to continue using your current wireline number during the one-day transfer process.

It seems to me the whole article seems to imply that carrier to carrier transfers are explicitly allowed. I am not a lawyer and have not looked into any actual on the books laws, regulations, precedent, etc though

Edit for clarity: I am asking about porting to a new carrier in the case that the new coverage is not acceptable or there is another reason to move away from Republic

We allow number transfers, as described under those guidelines.

What’s changed, is that under our old Republic plans, you could activate a phone, get a nice new, number, and then transfer your number to the service line at any time - a month later, a year later, it didn’t matter.

But now it matters. At activation, you’ll transfer the phone number. There’s no option to do so after you’ve been assigned a new number. So you have a choice - a new number or transfer. You can no longer have both.

What I’m not seeing in the FCC guide is something that says any carrier has to offer you the option to transfer your number after already assigning you a new number.

The part about have two phones with the same number is not the same thing as having one phone and getting a new number replaced with your transferred number.

Okay, I was personally just concerned with the ability to move from Republic if needed. I don’t think that is the case for me given the $40 unlimited plan at the moment assuming that the new coverage is sufficient. Thanks!

3 Likes

I understand now. Let me edit what I wrote so I don’t scare anyone else!

2 Likes

To be clear, the only thing that the FCC cares about is the carriers allow numbers to be ported away, if the customer chooses, and meets the criteria.

They do not have any rules about porting in. For instance.Cricket won’t take a landline number. Carriers generally work hard to make porting to them as way as possible because they know that brings business.

1 Like