How old are our Community members? What's your age range?

Let’s determine the age of the Community, unscientifically.

Note: Others will not be able to see your reply, not even moderators or Admins, so don’t be ashamed to vote!

Poll 1: What’s your current age range?

• Under 20
  • 20-29
  • 30-39
  • 40-49
  • 50-59
  • 60-69
  • 70-79
  • 80+

0 voters

Poll 2: How old were you when you got your first Android phone?

• Under 20
  • 20-29
  • 30-39
  • 40-49
  • 50-59
  • 60-69
  • 70-79
  • 80+

0 voters

If you want to really date yourself, reply below to tell us how old you were when you got your first cell phone (doesn’t have to be a smart phone, that conversation is going on, here) and what it was, if you remember!

How will it work: WIFI Data vs 4G?
pinned #2

I turned 50 in the fall (yuck), and I guess I was in my early 20’s when I got my first cell phone. It was a bag phone that weighed a ton, and I think it was maybe $10 a month for the service, and 75 cents a minute for calls. I got it just to be a snob…me all fancy, a young kid with a phone in his car. And then one night, my car died. Called AAA, called my parents to come pick me up, and I didn’t have to go walking around at night trying to find a phone. It was AWESOME. Always had a phone with me after that.

3 Likes

My first cell phone was Nokia bar phone that had a plastic cover over the key pad that flipped down to answer I got it at age 25 when I was house hunting in year 2000

1 Like

Hey, I turned 50 last spring … but that’s in hex of course :slight_smile: oh to be so young

2 Likes

Ah yes, the bag phone. I used these to set up a communication path for computerized irrigation systems way back in the day. Great story!

As for you just recently turning 50. If I hunted around my dresser drawers I am confident I could find a couple of print T-shirts that are of that vintage. :wink:

Edit: I got to thinking about the T-shirts. Anyone know how to contact American Pickers?

3 Likes

Been there done that, years ago. :wink:

When you find that, I want to see a picture! My oldest T-shirt is only 42 years old!

I was 17 when I got my first cell phone. It was a Nokia 5185i on Alltel’s prepaid service.
I loved that I could change out the faceplate on the phone to customize it - super important since it was an extremely popular phone for the college freshman demographic at the time.

1 Like

Yesterday, after marking my age group, I could see the percentages that had marked each group. Today, checking back to see the results, I only see my selection.

@billg - At the bottom of each poll, do you see the “Show results” button?

Screenshot

I just checked, both signed in and on a Chrome Incognito view and can see the % in my group

1 Like

Yes. Sorry, I completely missed that. Thanks!

2 Likes

No worries! I also missed it the first few polls I did on here. :smile:

1 Like

I was 16, I believe, when I got my first activated phone. It was a Moto X2 on Republic.

Just last month, right?! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

That happens when we hit the ‘upper brackets’ :slight_smile:

Seems like it! Time flies by!

I had a military style phone that had 3 sizes of antenna to put on it.

1 Like

My wife thinks our first cellphone was an Eriksson model. Don’t remember the model though. I’m guessing this was in the '90s.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer