How to find your phone's secondary number and stop unwanted calls to that number

My RW number is the one that I have had for ten years. I originally had the number on nextel which was bought out by Sprint, so my Mobile # is the same as my RW number. Why would sprint waste an extra number on me?

randolphp.sx03mp wrote:

I originally had the number on nextel which was bought out by Sprint, so my Mobile # is the same as my RW number.

Actually, what the phone shows is not your RW number unless you’re using a Defy XT. On the Defy XT the process is different and that’s noted in the blog.

Why would sprint waste an extra number on me?
Sprint didn’t waste the number, Republic did, and it is not wasted. It is essential for operation of the phone when you’re not able to get calls on Wi-Fi.

I like to pose a question that may be elsewhere, but I think it would be a good here as well. Alabama just called me and interrupted my lovely Spotify playlist. I just let it go to voicemail, which of course, one wasn’t left.

So my question is, based on experiences, what is the best call blocking app? I’ve seen Mr. Number-Block calls & spam and Call Blocker around a bit, but I’m wondering what actually works. Many of the spam calls to my phone are from around the country, often not a duplicate number (or even state) as before. So which is the best one?

I tried Mr. Number for about a month, and I thought it worked well. I’m currently using Truecaller, which had more installations from the Play store, and I’ve been very pleased with it so far (I’ve only had it for about a month). I’d be interested to hear if other people are using one of these or have found other apps that do a good job at blocking spam/unwanted calls.

@ryans1230, if you only need to block specific callers, rather than blocking any particular caller that happens to be on spam list, the best call blocking app is the one I recommend in the blog post.

I don’t wish to give all of my contacts to whitepages.com (the company behind Mr Number) so that they can sell caller information when someone is willing to pay for the name behind a number.

Thoughts on True caller?

I’m not positive if Truecaller does anything like @carlh describes for Mr. Number. On the App page, they state:

Truecaller NEVER uploads your phonebook to make it searchable or public.
They use your phonebook to improve their database of numbers, but based on their FAQ, they allow you to request to have your number removed and seem to be a pretty above-board company. However, I did find the following in an older article about the company’s success:

Truecaller’s business model relies in part on a limited-access API that it opened last month. Companies might find it useful for validating identities. Airlines, for instance, could use it to improve their customer support by getting access to the names of phone-number owners, while also being able to identify how they fit into the customer support network based on a Truecaller score.
That article was from 2013, so I’m not sure if that’s still how they’re making money. The Premium version of the app looks like it’s $1.99/month, But it looks like there are offers you can complete to earn free days. I’m not sure if that’s the only monetization strategy. This is another 2013 article that talks about API access.

Personally, I feel comfortable with Truecaller. This article from their blog is one reason I feel that way. In my opinion, that value proposition and user focus communicates to me that they care about offering a product that makes my phone calling/receiving experience better. It doesn’t seem like the company would have 100 million worldwide users if they were doing something harmful to their users. But you’ll have to evaluate for yourself whether the privacy concerns for an app like this are worth the potential benefits.

Bruce Schnier posted an article recently that talks about how we regularly trade privacy for convenience. It’s an interesting topic, but unfortunately, there aren’t any magic solutions to these type of security problems.

@ryans1230, Truecaller doesn’t seem to be in the same league as whitepages.com, and their privacy policy doesn’t set off any obvious alarm bells. Even better, none of my phone numbers are known when I search for them there.

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate your making this information available!

I had to find out my Sprint number and use it to register my phone with BECU for their mobile app to work. I assume this will be the case with many auto-verification systems. So many thanks for this info!

BECU’s web verification system couldn’t send the SMS to my Republic number (it would pretend to send, but nothing would arrive). The Sprint number worked right away. This is good, because when you run the BECU mobile app (to do deposits, etc) it uses your current Sprint number after you log in to make sure you are really you. It’s impossible to use the app until you validate your Sprint number! (this also means each time Republic changes my sprint number, I’ll have to re-validate the new number to use the mobile app)

Hi @jeffj.mn8xya, your Sprint number shouldn’t change often, however sometimes it may. There is no way of knowing when this will happen. For more on the number changes, consider this reply: Re: Sprint Hidden Number changed?

Thank you. Last winter I received calls on my phone letting me know about school closures100 mis away. I contacted them to look for my number in case of an erroneous entry, but nothing. So I aded a contact and set straight to voicemail. After reading this, number was consistent with the area of the school district and was found in their database and removed.

After I key in ##3283#, the screen flashes like it’s changing apps, but then goes back to the dialer. If I press the recent apps button, I see an app titled “HiddenMenu,” but pressing the window just takes me to the home screen. Any ideas?

Moto E (1st gen), Android 4.4.4

@chrisw.oxbf78 wrote:

After I key in ##3283#, the screen flashes like it’s changing apps, but then goes back to the dialer.

The numbers are 3282, not 3283.

Is there not any way to completely block specific phone numbers from contacting your phone at all? Not go to voicemail or archive texts, but simply block everything from a specific phone number. This is such a basic function, I am having a hard time believing there is no way to do this.

No, there is not a way for Republic to block a number. There are only the phone-based solutions to block a number that are mentioned in the blog.

Carlh,

I know you answered this earlier, but I was still a little unclear (being techno illiterate)… why can’t the RW and sprint numbers be the same? Also, I am attempting to receive short code texts, if RW approves certain short codes can I use my RW number or do I still need to use my sprint number? Thanks in advance!

@kellyd.wveogs, your Republic phone is really two phones - it’s:

a) an Internet-protocol phone that is reached through the RW phone number when on Wi-Fi

b) a Sprint cell phone that is reached through the Sprint number when Wi-Fi’s not available

The Republic magic does its best to make the Sprint cell phone disappear, so the outside world needs only the RW phone number.

If RW chose to use Internet data for calls over cell towers, there wouldn’t be a need for the cell phone setup and Sprint number, but sometimes those data connections can’t provide good quality phone calls. So using the Sprint cell phone for voice calls makes it functional in more places, and is also less expensive than using Internet data.

does not work on defy phones

@trairdon what exactly doesn’t work?

Find Your Sprint Number

These instructions apply to the Moto X, Moto G, and Moto E with all versions of Android offered for those phones. Defy XT users, please use the method here.