How to find your phone's secondary number and stop unwanted calls to that number

I have a moto X, and am trying to block a number from txting, but the steps above for blocking a certain number doesn’t work. There isn’t a “people and options” to select to block a caller. How can I block txts from a certain number to stop getting harassed?

@maxn, you must install and use Google Messenger as your texting app, and from there open the conversation with the number you want to block in order to see the “people and options” settings.

I’m confused. I followed the instructions to see the sprint number but then what do I do? It is different than my Rw phone number.

The underlying Sprint number is used by Republic Wireless to augment the VoIP system and as stated … so yes they are different, you don’t give out the underlying number … the Blog helps you understand and mitigate some of the differences that its presence may bring you … I wouldn’t worry much about it

For those with cell service plans, there’s a second number that’s required and used behind-the-scenes to receive calls when Wi-Fi isn’t available. You don’t normally need to worry about the Sprint number unless you’re receiving unwanted texts or calls because it was recycled from a former Sprint mobile customer.

Community Ambassador Ben ~ a Community member - not an employee of Republic

How has the process changed with the new phones/plans? When I try entering the number, I get no option of “Data Profile”.

Hi @cathyw.o9wv6w

This document was prepared for 1.0 and 2.0 plans, and is not a fix for 3.0 plans. I assume carl will have a new/updated document once a proper procedure is determined (most of the issue now is it being so new and a limited way of getting access to 3.0).

Hi,

I followed the instructions to find my sprint #. I have a Moto G 3rd gen. The tap data profile is not an option. I am trying to use the WeChat app. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

@lisat.c63gtl did you bring up the built-in dialer’s number pad to enter ##3282# ? Did the number vanish as promised? And if so, then what did you see next?

Hello,

I also tried to follow the instructions to find my sprint # but it’s failing That is when I open the dialer (on my new moto x pure) and dial ##3282# then click on the green dial button I get “Republic Wireless, Dialed number not allowed.”

What am I missing?

Thanks for your time.

The blog does not (yet) cover the newest unlocked phones, which also BTW don’t have a “Sprint” number. Here’s a preview of the updated blog post to come:

Moto X Pure, Moto G4, G4 Plus, Nexus***gsm-dialer.png***

1. Open the Phone app (the dialer that comes with the phone).
  2. Tap the dialer-dialpad-button.png button to bring up the number pad.
  3. Enter ##4636## on the number pad. A menu of Testing options will appear.
  4. Tap Phone information
  5. At the top of this page of information, the Phone number shown is the secondary number.
  6. Tap the Home button to dismiss the information screen.

Calls coming into the wrong number (WEIRD)

Thanks for the helpful info. Using your my online RW account, I was able to see that the twitter texts I’ve been getting are indeed going to my sprint number and not my RW number, which explains why texting STOP didn’t help anything. As an aside, apparently this is a thing with Twitter (Twitter May Be Liable for Sending Texts to Recycled Cellphone Numbers–Nunes v. Twitter – Technology & Marketing Law Blog ).

Do you have any advice on how to move forward, though? Is it possible to text STOP from my sprint number? I’ve been having trouble finding a customer service contact for Twitter that doesn’t require you to log in (I don’t have a twitter account and it seems a bit silly to sign up for twitter just so I can get at their customer service). I do use the built-in messaging app and I’d rather not switch to using a totally different app for my daily texts just so I can block an automated message.

Any advice would be appreciated!

@roseb.0m25og, it’s not possible to text STOP from your Sprint number. The solutions are to change apps or call for the nuclear option.

This was wonderfully helpful info for my Moto X Gen 1 … thank you!!! Can you now tell me how to do the same on my new Samsung Galaxy S7 please? (ie find my 2nd # so I can add it to the “Do Not Call Directory”). Thank you so much :slight_smile:

It’s a bit more hassle to get the secondary number with Samsung phones. The brief version is, start the “Messages” app that comes with the phone, and make it the default SMS app. Now use it to text another phone, and the number that appears on that other phone as sender is the secondary number. Then start Messenger and set it as the default SMS app.

I originally posted this here: Ways to Discover your Underlying CDMA & GSM Numbers. It probably makes more sense to have it here. @carlh already notes the method for Moto series, Nexus and Pixel phones in a previous comment here; https://community.republicwireless.com/people/carlh/blog/2013/11/21/moto-x-how-to-find-out-your-phones-sprint-number#com…, however, for the sake of completeness:

For those of us with new Republic 3.0 phones (whether provisioned for GSM or CDMA coverage), methods of discovering the secondary number vary with brand of phone.

If you have a Motorola, Nexus or Pixel phone:

1. Open the Dialer (Phone app).
  2. Dial *#*#4636#*#*
  3. You’ll see a Testing menu.
  4. Tap Phone information.
  5. The Phone number displayed is your secondary number.
  6. Unless you’re familiar with it, I suggest refraining from further exploring the Testing menu.
  7. Tap the Home button to dismiss the information screen.

If you have a Samsung phone there are two methods; cheap and elegant ($2) and less elegant but free:

1. Install SignalCheck Pro.
  2. Open SignalCheck Pro.
  3. Tap three dots upper right.
  4. Tap System Shortcuts.
  5. Tap Radio Info.
  6. Read and heed Warning message, then tap OK.
  7. The Phone number displayed is your secondary number.
  8. Tap the Home button to exit Device info.

SignalCheck Pro is a very useful app well worth $2, however, if you prefer free read on. Temporarily set Samsung’s bundled Messages app as your default messaging app. To do so:

1. Tap Apps.
  2. Tap Search.
  3. Type Messages.
  4. Tap Messages.
  5. Tap OK and confirm.
  6. If Republic insists tap Use Messenger, then tap No.
  7. Send a text to your public facing Republic number. The number shown as sending the text is your secondary number.
  8. Please be certain to restore Android Messages (formerly known as Google Messenger) or other third party messaging app being used in place of Samsung’s Messages as your default messaging app. Samsung’s bundled Messages app does not properly work with Republic’s service at this time, which is why (ironically) this method works for discovering your secondary number.

If you have a Huawei Ascend 5W:

1. Open the Dialer (Phone app).
  2. Dial *#*#6130#*#*
  3. You’ll see a Testing menu.
  4. Tap Phone information.
  5. The Phone number displayed is your secondary number.
  6. Unless you’re familiar with it, I suggest refraining from further exploring the Testing menu.
  7. Tap the Home button to dismiss the information screen.

How do I find the underlying GSM number?
Stopping robo calls
Voice Mail Fowarding
How do I find the underlying Sprint number on a Moto Z Play
Suddenly receiving 'wrong number' calls

Worked! Although Republic does not like its clients to use the underlying Sprint number ------ sometimes it is the only answer to a problem. Thanks for keeping up to date on this subject!!

Hi! I have a Moto G4 and I followed the directions for Motorola phones (##4636##) but nothing happens. Any suggestions?

It is really supposed to be: * # * # 4 6 3 6 # * # * (without spaces) … just verified on my Moto X Pure (as the forum sometime renders things funny)

Right, it should look like like what you see here: How to find your phone's secondary number and stop unwanted calls to that number as you enter it on the phone dialer.

I fixed the munged codes in my supplemental response covering 3.0 phones: How to find your phone's secondary number and stop unwanted calls to that number.

They didn’t transfer properly from out old Community software platform.