How to free up RAM

What phone do you have? Moto g
What plan are you on? not sure the name
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? yes I have 1gb of data

Issue Description

Today I was trying to upload photos onto a website from my phone and I kept getting an error message saying that the process couldn't be completed because of lack of memory. I started by checking in my storage and I have 3.6gb of storage, just to be safe I deleted the cache data. Then I looked here and did a long process of turning off the phone and wiping the cache partition and rebooting the phone. Still no luck, getting the same message. So back to storage and looked at the running apps. There it says that I have 310mb of RAM available. I am assuming that is where the problem is. Now how do I free that up. Most of my larger apps are on the SD card. Some help would be appreciated. Sorry about the length of post.

How were you transferring photos to the website? Does the website offer an upload app or directly through chrome?

You could try uploading photos in smaller chunks, if the website is not capable of automatically managing memory for a larger upload.

Alternatively, if you already sync your photos to Google Photos then you can login to
photos.google.com and upload the photos from there to the website.

There isn’t much you can do in terms of the RAM. The phone automatically manages the RAM usage and will swap out the unused programs as required to make room for other active tasks. There is no RAM clean up that you can manually do…and I don’t think it will make a big difference in the behavior that you are seeing.

I am just trying to upload 1 photo at a time and up only yesterday evening I had no problem doing it. I use 2 different browsers one is chrome and the other is dolphin. I will try using Google photos and see if that works. I didn’t think there was much to be done about the RAM just wanted to make sure. Thanks

What I don’t understand is why would this just start happening. I have never had this problem before. My phone is almost 2years old. Is the phone going bad?

1st thing RAM does not equal storage (some times wrongly call ROM on phones, the ROM is stored on the internal storage
RAM will effect the smoothness of the OS and how responsive it is, 1 GB is low for today’s standard but it is still a good amount)

the Moto G 1st and 3rd gen had 1 GB RAM on either a 8 GB or 16 GB of internal storage)
about 4 GB of internal storage will be the OS and pre-installed apps (aka the ROM)
the system needs some open space on the internal storage to work correctly (the is a temp cache/temp storage (I believe .5 GB (500 MB) is the minimum with out encountering issues )

I would read thought this blog as many of the tips would still apply to the Moto G

It may be combination of some state your phone has gotten into…or something perhaps with the destination website as well. I don’t think this is an issue of permanent degradation of your phone.

Some simple remedies or workarounds would be

a) Try connecting to this website from another device such as a laptop/tablet…if you have one accessible and see if you get the same result.

b) Try another browser app such as Firefox.

c) Clear your browser data on Chrome (be sure to check the option “from beginning on time”) and Dolphin.

ETA: Sorry just noticed you had already tried clearing the cache

Tried a: I could get it to upload pictures on my tablet.
Tried b: I could get Firefox to upload pictures. Now question becomes do I uninstall dolphins and chrome to free up space.

It is definitely curious that it worked from Firefox… since then have you gone back and tried using Chrome and/or Dolphin…if it was a transient issue…maybe those might work as well.

If not, I would recommend clearing the browser cache for Chrome and Dolphin and try again.

I have actually done that and it still doesn’t work for either chrome or dolphin.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.