How to get to keypad while talking to someone

I have a Moto G 1st gen phone and when I called about updating my credit card to add the chip I was asked to enter my card number. I tried but the only keypad that came up was the one to dial a new phone number, not the keypad where I can use the symbols such as (@ # $ % ), I asked this question before and I was told to hold down the number for 1/12 seconds then release it for the same amount of time (that didn’t work). Next response was, on the bottom left there would a ?123 (that didn’t show up). Are there any other ideas that might work?

Thanks again,

Lloyd

You will use the dialpad to enter your credit card number…just like you would use the buttons of a regular phone for entering any information requested in an automated call.

If you are having trouble registering this info while on a WiFi call…then move to an area of good cellular coverage…switch off your WiFi and try calling again.

I still can’t get to the symbols such as (@#$%).

Why do you need to enter those symbols for a credit card number?

There are only two symbols supported by touchtone. Those are * and #. It is not possible to enter any other symbols on a phone call. This is not a Republic thing, it is a touchtone system thing. You’ll find the * under the 7 and the # under the 9.

the phone system is not set up to recognize those symbols

is the # key (below the 9 key) the * is the * key (below the 7 key)

when entering credit card numbers there no need to enter spaces or dashes (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX), when entering dates no need for slashes or dashes (just the 2 digit month and year (MMYY) unless request for the 4 digit year (MMYYYY)

typically they say hit # when done

How do I get to the keypad with insignias, such as $, when I am talking to someone on my Moto G phone? When I touch the keypad symbol, the phone number keypad comes up, not the one where I can get to (@,#,$,% and etc). What do I do to get to that.

Thank you,

Lloyd

I am not sure which Moto G version you have but there should be a “?123” button on the bottom left of the keyboard. That assumes you have not replaced your keyboard with another app.

Hi @lloydk.t8165c,

While in a call, if you’re looking at the call screen, the keypad symbol will only launch the numeric keypad for entering numbers, * and #. In order to type, for example, to type a text message while talking, you’d need to first tap the “Home” button in order to minimize the call screen, then launch whatever app you’re wanting to type into.

Message an
Expert customer