The Republic Anywhere app is no longer available from the Play store on legacy models that use Android 5.1, and due to this must be downloaded and installed in a way that’s not familiar to most. That process is explained in what follows.
Note that if you’re not using Anywhere on other platforms, such as a computer or tablet, there’s no real reason to use Anywhere on a phone. If you are using it on other devices, then you need it on your phone in order to get your contact names shown on those devices, and to have messages sent from those devices appear on the phone.
The following instructions are all done from the screen of your older phone model.
- On your phone go to https://anywhr.info/l/download/android-legacy. You may see this warning:
There is no hazard, so tap OK. You’ll see a bar at the bottom that notes that the file is being downloaded.
- When the download completes the bar at the bottom will show the word Open next to it. Tap on Open.
- If you see the following pop-up box, tap on Settings and continue with steps 4-6. If you don’t see this, skip to step 7.
- Swipe up and locate the setting for Unknown sources which has an on-off switch. Tap the switch to turn that on.
- A warning will be shown about turning on Unknown sources. Tap OK to accept it.
- Swipe down from the top edge of the screen, and tap the notification that identifies Anywhere and says Download complete.
- You’ll see the Anywhere installation page now. Swipe up on the page until you see Install at the bottom, and tap it.
- When the Installation completes, tap on Open at the bottom of the page.
- Anywhere will prompt with a Configure your device button. Tap that button.
- You’ll be asked to confirm changing the SMS app. Tap Yes to agree to that.
- Anywhere will show you a button labeled Awesome. Tap that button. Anywhere is now installed and configured as your texting app.
- To restore the security setting that forces you to think before installing a potentially rogue app on your phone (as you saw in step 3 above), open the Settings app on the phone, tap Security, and turn off the on-off switch for Unknown sources.