How to Stop Unwanted Spam Calls

No, it’s not available for the 1st and 2nd generation Moto X, or any of the legacy phones (Moto G 1st and 3rd gen, Moto E 1st and 2nd gen).

1 Like

No. This is, however, a much needed feature for RW’s present app. I have been running the latest version of their app for several weeks now and it has reduced my spam call rate by about 0.001%. The problem is rooted in an overlooked statement in the original announcement(s):

Spoofed calls do not come from the same number repeatedly and the heuristic approach based on call volume, geo-location, etc. does not appear to be sophisticated enough to handle the problem even when all of the spoofed numbers have the same area code and many have the same prefix.

Hopefully the software engineers at RW are on top of this. I’m not sure how interested Google is in adding a custom filter feature to their Android call blocker given that they derive their living from advertising revenue.

Thank you for the response. It makes sense RW would be more likely to address this issue than Google. All my spam calls come from one area code and none of my actual calls come from there. Let’s hope a solution is developed.

In the on-going search for the ability to block calls based on custom filters, I ran across this “feature” which is supposed to be native to Android:

Use caller ID & spam protection

Based on the description, this is the same basic tool RW has incorporated into their app. However, I notice that the Android spam protection feature is not available on my phone even though it runs Android 7.0.

It is an interesting coincidence. Earlier in the discussion, someone mentioned Android as potentially the best place to handle custom filtering. However, it seems that the dialer app is the place where this is positioned.

Does RW use a custom dialer app?

It is not. While the functionality is similar, the functionality that Republic has implemented is in the network, not in the phone or the dialer and has nothing to do with Google.

It would only be available if the manufacturer of your phone has included the Google Dialer as your phone default phone dialer.

No, Republic does not have its own dialer.

2 Likes

When I got this service it was a living nightmare I never had spam callers on my number I had for 6 years. It was calls voicemails threatening. I was going crazy. I complained over and over. They did the best to help. I still get them I am hoping this new feature helps. I wish the phone could block calls with no caller ID. I still get one a day …it use to be 5 a day let’s hope this new thing helps.

2 Likes

Feature request: please allow users to add numbers as spam

This will never happen. RW has moved on to more profitable endeavors.

This app fails entirely to block spam calls to my phone. My manual block list is probably approaching 500 numbers and counting. 95% of my daily call load consists of Chinese spammers using numbers from the 214 area code in Texas. I spend more time blocking numbers tham any other activity on my phone. RW is sitting on their hands in this matter. A trivial pattern block feature would fix this entirely.

Hi @chris.nqdwj9j,

Our developers have continued to improve the spam-blocking feature, though it has not been the only work they have on their plates.

We are currently pre-release testing Republic Wireless app version 3.25, and it includes some additional improvements to the spam-blocking feature. There won’t be user-configurable features added, but I’m hopeful the improvements will decrease the time you spend blocking numbers.

If you don’t see any improvement once 3.25 rolls out, please open a ticket. When a number is particularly battered by spam calls, there is a change our help team can make that sometimes can help decrease that activity.

1 Like

SPAM should be at the top of the plate. I do VOIP administration daily. There is little excuse for it. It is usually resolvable one way or another.

I’ll be glad to beta 3.25 for you. My number is a worst-case example of the problem. Those are the cases that should be in beta. Once upon a time I was a member of RW’s beta program. It has been ages since I have received an invitation to beta anything RW related.

As always, thanks for your help.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback, @chris.nqdwj9j.

At this time our engineers are not adding members to the beta group, but if the change our agents can make does not help with the volume of unwanted calls, I’ll be glad to let you sideload 3.25 to see what you think, since, being very technical, you would understand the potential downsides of running a pre-production version of an app.

1 Like

I guess my Moto G or my plan prevents me from following the simple directions to block spam calls.

Is there anyway I can get help from RW to stop spam calls to my Moto G???

Unfortunately, the option is not available for legacy Republic phones (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1 or X2).

Please open a help ticket as there is a background change Republic is able to make that may help.

1 Like

Thanks for the update.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer