How we started the RW Car Club

During one of those “how was your weekend” conversations in the office, I shared with others my experience at a performance driving event called autocross.

I’ve always had an interest in cars and motorsports. Reading car magazines to keep up on the things going on in the industry, occasionally watching parts of a race on TV, and an unfulfilled desire to have a place to get behind a wheel and do performance driving. As a kid, I had a dream to be a sports car driver. But as an adult in suburbia with a minivan, it all seems out of reach. When I read an article about a performance driving event I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to attend.

The event was basically setting up a bunch of traffic cones in an empty parking lot (or abandoned airplane runway), and learning to toss the car around the cones, all while never really getting above 40 mph and having only one car on course at a time.

You drive your own car, whether it is a souped-up specialty or a daily driver with lots of miles and little horsepower. It’s highly organized by the hosting staff, and safety is a top priority. It seems a relatively safe and legal way to drive your own car with spirit, and to learn the handling limits of the vehicle that not only is fun but improves your overall safety abilities for everyday driving. A local car club was hosting an autocross novice day, and I decided to make the plunge and try it out. I wasn’t the only attendee that was totally new at this. It was a blast. I got hooked.

A few months later, a relatively new employee @kmullins stopped me in the hall, and asked: “Do you do autocross?” “Yes,” I said, “why do you ask?” “Because I do too!” So we started talking. Come to find out, she’s done a lot more than I have. She’s been a safety flagger for a professional race, attended the Indy 500, and saved her money and got some instruction behind the wheel of multiple exotic performance cars.

So as we started talking more, in those “how was your weekend” discussions, we kept stumbling on more and more other employees that had this same interest and also didn’t know how to achieve it. And then we stumbled into a few employees that had been achieving it and were doing more. It became obvious at that point that we needed to do something more with this passion than just talk about it. So we formed a car club in the office.

With the experience-driven culture of our workplace, it made total sense to band together, to share our knowledge for the benefit of others, and to find new experiences we could share. So plans have been laid to meet up periodically, talk about what we’ve learned and seen, and plan some events. These events may be to attend a local car show, help each other over the confidence hump to participate in their first performance driving event, to get to the next level in personal performance, or to plan some outreach events.

We can help folks understand how to properly inflate their tires to the right pressure and how to change a spare, but we’d also like to drive at the next level in an autocross or rallycross event, and generally just get out and have a blast, safely of course.

None of us have a dedicated car for performance driving - we’re using our everyday cars. But rather than sitting in front of a screen on the weekend, I’d rather be sitting behind a steering wheel and getting better at my performance technique and doing so with my friends. At these events, I meet the nicest people and hear stories about other events that are happening and their experiences. We can go to ‘Cars and Coffee’, go driving at the karting park, and share tools for that weekend project. Connecting with these people is enabling these great experiences.

If that’s your daily driver, Republic must be treating you Great! :thinking:

there are times when my work is one large car club
I in and of so many cars ans trucks that I like to get away from them on my weekends

No doubt ben. It’s like a work of art. ss116

I always wanted to drive in the 1976 movie Gumball Ralley.

I’m so excited to be part of such a group that shares the same interest and passion as I do in motorsports. Being the only female in the club, I can honestly say that the guys treat me no differently than they do one another. We are all in it to have fun and learn from each other.

Since I was 7 years old, I’ve always appreciated the sound, speed, and aesthetics of a sports car. The roar of the engine produced excitement, the speed created adrenaline, and the appearance was a work of art in my eyes. That was around the age when my dad started doing some racing of his own as a hobby, so I guess you can say I grew up around the sport. But the sound, speed, and aesthetics were the only things I had an interest in, actually, up until the car club when I decided I wanted to learn what makes it all work—I’m talking about the inner beauty. The RW Car Club has only been around for a few months, and I already have a much better grasp on the mechanical side of the spectrum than when I first joined thanks to the teachings from the club members, and just picking up on keywords during the back and forth chatter during our meetings and on our direct messaging channel.

The club gets together every other week during lunch to discuss upcoming local events, watch racing clips, compare notes, and just talk shop (no pun intended) with one another. We are such a down-to-earth, close-knit group that enjoys each other’s company on all things motorsports.

Our next adventures are driving an Indy-style car on the Charlotte Motor Speedway and having some friendly competition go karting on the GoPro Motorplex track in Mooresville, NC this June.

You and me both! Wouldn’t it be so cool to be a stunt driver?!

@kmullens

Yes it would but I would like to have been partnered with Nancy Wilson from the band :heartbeat: Heart… She looked amazing in that movie… Who would think of racing spandex lol

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android tv

Actually I was on a NHRA PRO DRAG circuit for 3yrs …Now that was fun, I just dreaded the teardowns between rounds. John Force was quite a character but a great mentor. His work ethic was go go go all the time, rest when your dead lol

This really awesome!

I strive for performance when driving my Prius. Today I drove 65 miles, 2/3 at 65 MPH and 1/3 at 75 MPH. I averaged 58.6 MPG. There was a slight headwind, perhaps 10 mph. My best run ever was a 90 mile run at 65 MPH in which I averaged 96 MPG. Yes, there was a brisk tailwind. :grin:

I’ve got a plug-in Hyundai Sonata (replaced my 16 year old Prius I got October of 2000). Given my short commute I’ve been averaging infinite MPG. On a trip to NY, I got about 60mpg, I had a stretch of 11 months where I didn’t put any gas in the tank, that was pretty cool.

I’m on my 3rd Prius. I’d get plug-in but I’m leery about cold weather performance, At -10F it must discharge the battery fairly quickly to maintain a cabin temperature of 60F while keeping the windshield defrosted.

That’s the time I fire up the gas engine to produce some heat from good old fashioned combustion. (The benefits of a plug-in hybrid versus a true EV).

I believe the plug-in Prius has the same engine and the conventional Prius cold weather performance is quite good so yes, that would work.

o.m.g. i just about peed my pants!!