How will Republics CPNI usage affect me?

If I allow Republic to to glean my info like they want to, what will mean to me? Am I going to get a lot of calls/ solicitations/ robocalls etc?

3 Likes

That’s an interesting question about phone calls. Let’s ask Republic.

@southpaw@rw can you offer any clarification as to the amount of contacts and the type of contacts we would receive.

I have a question - why did Republic think this blatant invasion of privacy and spam would be a good idea?

5 Likes

There is a decent discussion of this here:

Customer proprietary network information - Wikipedia

Opting out if it in my account was easy but IMHO the law should have required an opt-in instead of an opt-out.

5 Likes

What other reason is there for advertising but money?

3 Likes

And why are we opted-in by default, and must actively opt-out? It should be the other way around, with the default being that of maximum privacy.

4 Likes

Also being discussed here:

Privacy ripoff Republic wants to sell your info and market you crap…like everybody else. Screw your privacy. Why do

4 Likes

I agree that it was easy enough to opt-out, but it was also easy enough to completely miss this.

Thanks for the link to the wikipedia article @billg.

I must say that I’ve lost a bit of respect for Republic due to this change. I’ve always felt like the company had data ethics in mind, if not the customer’s best interest, but I guess that’s not the case.

If on the other hand Republic has been utilizing the CPNI data all this time and only now providing us a means to opt-out, then thank you Republic for that.

5 Likes

So I just read the thread and opted out. How many times has my info already been shared before my opt out? Sort of sarcasm but since the policy may have already gone into effect before I knew about it they could have already dumped my info before I opted out.

4 Likes

I opted out.

Republic being an innovative company, I would have almost expected:

• opt-out = default
  • opt-in = tiny monthly discount

If that was the case, we’d all be praising them and the option. I happily use Google Opinion Rewards; I’m giving up a tiny bit of my privacy, but it was voluntary and I’m getting paid.

4 Likes

The CPNI notification is pretty much the standard privacy notice for the telephone industry. The only thing surprising here is if this is the 1st time that Republic has issued one as this is required by federal regulations.

Just because RW does the notice, does not indicate that there is any intent to sell your CPNI info!

And as a hypothetical in case you opt out, it may prevent RW from supplying any CPNI info to a phone manufacturer in case of a phone recall such as the Samsung Note 7.

I pay a monthly bill, therefore I opt out. When looking for apps, I will lean toward the purchase of one other than the free one, no ads for the purchased one vs ads for the free one. I also use Ad Blocker on my browser. I don’t need to see a bottle of Coke to want to buy a Coke, if I’m in the mood for a soda, then I’ll buy a Coke all on my own.

3 Likes

opt-in= rebate, sounds very fair.

3 Likes

If the federal government requires notice, then perhaps Republic wasn’t sharing this data with third parties before now.

As far as recalls, Republic Wireless knows how to contact us. Social media and the news organizations seem to do a pretty good job of notification too.

You can put lipstick on a pig all you want,** but this is all about the money.**

3 Likes

Seems to me a lot of this discussion is missing an important thing: " We will not sell, trade or share your CPNI with any third-party where they will market directly to you."

Folks, the permission is for Republic to use your info to market to you themselves. In doing so they may engage with 3rd parties that analyze the data, assist with marketing, etc, but this isn’t about selling your data to 3rd parties for their use. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Yes, I read that, and it left me wondering who the third parties are and what want to do with my information. It doesn’t say there aren’t any third parties, it just excludes those who would use the data for marketing.

3 Likes

I’m sure they won’t tell us who the third parties are nor exactly what they’ll do with our information, but I can think of a few, from the relatively benign

• Carrier partners

• third-party service providers (Directly/ZenDesk “experts”, Jive, whomever they use to process returned phones, the finance company - Affirm or Affinity or something like that?)

• Contract workers and/or interns

• Trade groups, journalists, anthropologists, and demographers
    And the not-so-benign

• Government

• Law Enforcement (with or without a proper warrant)

• Private detectives

• Lawyers

• Court personnel

1 Like

I always love your conspiracy theories, but can you explain to me how your not-so-benign fits the explicit text of the CPNI notification?

“from time to time, we may want to use your CPNI to provide you with information about other communications-related products and services or special promotions.” That’s the approved usage.

louisdi wrote:

Can you explain to me how your not-so-benign fits the explicit text of the CPNI notification?

Good point. The ones on my not-so-benign list will get our information with or without our permission, and most likely with little or no resistance and almost assuredly without notifying the affected subscriber(s) of the event.

4 Likes
Message an
Expert customer