Huawei Ascend 5W Bends & Review

My first impressions of the Huawei Ascend 5W were positive and even after using the phone for one week I feel the phone can work for many people. The screen was bright and responsive. The fingerprint reader is handy but it’s often tricky to get your finger positioned perfectly over the sensor. As some reviewers have pointed out, the phone may lag (stall) and this may be due to the processor. I did not get to test more intensive apps on this phone but it’s likely to have difficulty with multitasking and using processor intensive apps.

My gripe about the Ascend 5W is regarding the poor construction of the case. Yesterday the phone was in the front pocket of my jeans and as I sat down in a normal chair, the outer casing of the phone bent. Now the power button sticks to the case and the phone repeatedly restarts itself until the battery is dead. Some times I can get the phone to home screen and login only to have it restart a few seconds later. The phone thinks I’m holding down the power button for a manual shut down. The manufacturer cut corners to meet a low price point. Poor structural integrity is unacceptable. If you’re interested in buying this phone I suggest saving your hard earned money.

Sorry to hear your phone bent. It’s a thin phone and one should make small investment in a case to help prevent flexing if planning to subject the phone to minor abuses. I would suspect your phone bend has more to do with choice of jeans rather than phone construction. Have had mine since December, its often in back pocket when sitting.

Thanks, I definitely agree that this phone needs a case. My case was on its way from amazon and the the phone was in my pocket each day for exactly one work week.

The bending occurred due to how the phone was positioned next to my hip in my pocket. All my jeans are loose fitting, I’m a cyclist and a runner and my legs do not physically fit into skinny jeans. I’m a medium/big guy at 215lb 6’1’’ so that does not help things.

The problem is I’ve had a Motorola Razr Maxx (very sturdy), Samsung Galaxy S4, and a Motorola G within the past few years and each phone lasted at least 2 years without a hardware malfunction. After one week of use, the Huawei Ascend 5W bent at the outer casing. I just want to warn the community that if you are a large person I suggest buying a very sturdy case and possibly using a belt clip with this phone.

Message an
Expert customer