Huawei Ascend 5W Nougat Update coming?

Hi All, when I received my Ascend 5W, I recall the box actually having GR5 stamped on it instead of Ascend 5W. To me, this indicates that the GR5 and Ascend 5W are very similar. Anyhow, this site https://www.gizmochina.com/2017/02/15/huawei-android-7-0-nougat-emui-5-0-update-honor-5c-honor-6x-nova-p9-honor-8/ is stating:

A Russian tech site has further revealed that Huawei will also begin the rollout of Nougat update for Huawei GR5 2017 (Honor 6X), Huawei Nova and Huawei P9. Huawei has officially begun the rollout of the Android 7.0 Nougat update from Feb. 11. The update is expected to be available for all the owner Honor 8 users by the end of this month.

Does this mean that we may see a Android Nougat update for our Huawei Ascend 5W’s in next few months? Anyone with a little more knowledge have any ideas when/if we may see a Nougat update?

Thanks

Hi @johnd.1234,

I’m afraid no one here truly knows the answer to your question. Release of Nougat for the Ascend 5W is entirely up to Huawei. As Republic no longer modifies the Android operating system to make blended WiFi/cell calling work, it no longer plays a role in operating system updates.

Like yours, my Ascend 5W arrived clad in a GR5 box suggesting it might well be a rebadged variant of that phone. On the other hand the quote you reference talks about the “Huawei GR5 2017 (Honor 6X)”. Since the Ascend was released in 2016 and is most definitely not a rebadged Honor 6X, I’m wouldn’t read too much onto that.

I am having one repaired this week. I told the phone tech it is a rebadged Honor 5X along with the model number (H1623) and he took a minute and said OK, quoted me a price to repair the screen. That said, even after chatting with Huawei support, they would not confirm or deny an Honor 5X screen replacement will work, but I’m hopeful it is the right part.

On another note, Huawei confirmed that they would upgrade some older model phones to EMUI 5.x,x but neglected to indicate which models or a timeline…(soon, I suppose).

Just as an added FYI: Republic Help Updates will be updated with an announce of any updates to our phones. You can follow any updates and receive and email an update to your forum inbox or both (or stop getting updates if that is your wish)
Select the top right after you follow the above link

Message an
Expert customer