Huawei Ascend information

How does the new phone look? Pretty damn good.

Huawei Ascend | Republic Wireless

1 Like

GSM only - No CDMA - big ding against phone - therefore works only on RW’s GSM partner. Will not work with Sprint.

rajivb wrote:

GSM only - No CDMA - big ding against phone - therefore works only on RW’s GSM partner. Will not work with Sprint.

Yeah, the glass is half full for you. For me, it’s that and no wireless charging or USB-C.

For me, the glass is more than half full: SD card and fingerprint reader. But most importantly, the phone only costs $9. This $179 Ascend is reduced to $129. Subtract $20/mo x 6 mo. of free 3.0 of unlimited talk & text plus a GB of data each month. Fortunately, the big four carriers in Phoenix have blanket 4G signals.

1 Like

USB-C and Wireless charging on a $179/$129/$9 phone? That’s asking a lot.

1 Like

I know I am sounding like an idiot asking this question, but as a PHX area resident I am hoping you and some others can help me make a decision. Right now I have the 1st gen MOTO X. Here in Tucson where I live, I do not always get good service (voice quality… hesitations, etc) but I am never sure if it’s the phone, my wifi or just lack of sprint capability in this area. When we travel - and it’s usually in the west where neither Sprint nor TMobile have much of a presence - we run into large swaths where I have not been able to get any service at all. So I went from the $10 wifi/cell plan to the refund plan, and after our last trip was so disgusted that I went back to the $10 plan.

Thing is - I don’t use much data at all, but might use it more if I have greater access and a set price with no surprises. Actually, don’t even use the phone much. I easily go a day or two without makin or receiving a call. But the $20 plan with the virtually free ascend phone is quite appealing and I am wondering if I should get onboard. All that said… Can I expect that the new TMobile plan might be better for me than the Sprint-based plan and will a newer phone (compared to a 3 year old but originally better phone) solve some of my access problems, also? Also… you mention other company’s in PHX with 4G signals. Can I expect that to be helpful with this new phone/plan?

I’m not sure the community can tell you which will be better. Go to the TMO map: 4G LTE Coverage Map | Check Your 4G LTE Cell Phone Coverage | T-Mobile and Zoom in Deep. Pick the places you tend to go and check the coverage. Finally, assume the areas that are “Fair” will likely be a mix of decent coverage and no coverage at all.

@louisdi advice excellent to check out the GSM carrier’s map and his assessment of “fair” as I’ve seen good to none or intermittent in those areas. That map also provide routing checks if you go to the MY PLACES to get an idea how it may work on your road trips. Once the free service is over you can downgrade to the $15 plan and simply upgrade to get 1GB of data when you need it.

1 Like

I notice in the specs for the ascend, that it only 16 gigs of storage. It says I can get a micro sd slot ( card sold separately ). Does this mean an additional purchase beyond just buying an sd card?

Hi @daniela.07tot9,

No the MicroSD card slot is built into the phone. It’s the card itself that’s the separate purchase.

1 Like

How does it look? Pretty good on paper. In real life? We may never know. Not cool, Republic. (Feedback about the Ascend 5W promotion).

Message an
Expert customer