Huh? Dish and AT&T sign wireless network deal worth at least $5 billion

“Under the terms of the 10-year deal, AT&T will provide voice, data, messaging services to customers of Dish-owned mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) Boost Mobile, Ting and Republic Wireless.”

2 Likes

Here’s a link to what Dish had to say in its press release:

3 Likes

Interesting.

With no information on a timeline or implementation plan, I’ll put this in the “wait and see” category.

3 Likes

Pretty much everything with DISH and its’ wireless strategy is in that category!

3 Likes

I guess I’m selfishly hoping AT&T implementation will be in the later rather than sooner category. AT&T wireless is pretty poor in my community. Oh, you can make and receive phone calls and texts, but data speeds are terrible.

AT&T’s network in my area is so-so as well. I haven’t had the time to read DISH’s release. Maybe it’s not exclusive?

They use the term “primary.”

DISH (NASDAQ:DISH), announced today the signing of a transformative, long-term strategic Network Services Agreement (NSA) with AT&T, making AT&T the primary network services partner for DISH MVNO customers.

As I understand it, with Ting currently “X3” (T-Mobile) is primary with “V1” (Verizon) a special request. Likewise, Consumer Cellular uses T-Mobile as primary with AT&T available upon request. Perhaps, there will still be options but only DISH knows (and maybe they haven’t decided yet)?

1 Like

Boost Mobile founder’s Tweet (no longer involved with Boost Mobile America) on Jul. 1:

"So far, it looks like a continuation of the feud that's been going on between T-Mo and Dish for some time" there is NO way @boostmobile does not do a deal with another MNO for wholesale access this relationship is beyond repair and I think it would be great for Boost customers.

— Peter Adderton (@peter_adderton) July 2, 2021

Another report, from a financial web site: DISH and AT&T sign a strategic network services agreement | Seeking Alpha

What effect will this have on service in general, and in particular for legacy phones and plans?

As far as I know (I don’t know anymore than what I’ve read), Sprint’s CDMA network (the network legacy phones use) is shutting down in January of 2022. That was a major point of argument between DISH and T-Mobile:

1 Like

Legacy phones are going away. No question. Nothing to do with this. The network is going away which means the phones are going away. It is just a question of timing.

what is considered a legacy phone?

@lawrenced Legacy phones are: Defy XT, Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1 and X2. These phones can only use CDMA SIMs.

2 Likes

Motorola Defy, Moto X 1st and 2nd Gen, Moto G 1st and 3rd Gen, Moto E 1st and 2nd Gen

1 Like

Well this is…odd… Was not expecting this. I guess it shouldn’t really be surprising though as they tend to fly by the seat of their pants.

Verizon is the only provider with decent coverage in my area. Spring and T-Mobile are spotty at best. ATT is awful. Lovely.

@ceedee, sorry to hear that AT&T coverage is poor in your area. For me, it is probably the best of the major four in my area. Each area has it own best network for coverage in my opinion.

Well technically my region has good coverage from all major networks. So probably doesn’t matter which network is primary. I keep wondering though with all these ownership switches, are we going to face huge changes to service? Should we prepare to move to some other mvno?

Message an
Expert customer