Huh? Dish and AT&T sign wireless network deal worth at least $5 billion

That’s true for sure. However, they knew this was coming (or should have known) 2 years ago and started the process of informing/moving them over as soon as possible. It’s hard to blame T-Mobile for their own procrastinating. However, maybe there is more to the story than this (which could certainly be a possibility).

I’m not blaming T-Mobile or exonerating DISH. I’m content to let the regulators sort that dispute out as they played a role as well.

Let’s just say, however, DISH isn’t known for giving things away and Boost customers aren’t generally known for upgrading their phone frequently. Any subsidy provided by Boost needs to be as attractive as what one might get from the competition. Boost is bleeding subs by the hundreds of thousands per quarter. The conventional wisdom is this is a problem for DISH. The question is does DISH think it’s a problem. We don’t know the ARPU for the typical Boost customer but presumably DISH does.

2 Likes

It remains a wait and see, but if an ATT partnership is the way of the future then it doesn’t matter how I feel about anything else. No coverage whatsoever where I am currently sitting is not something I can sensibly pay for.

That said, CDMA network is still the most reliable in my area by a landslide, so I assume there are infrastructure changes in the works already anyhow.

According to published reports, the DISH/AT&T partnership is not exclusive. DISH still has a seven-year agreement with T-Mobile that, in theory, provides DISH the option of providing alternative coverage in areas where AT&T’s coverage is less than stellar.

Sprint’s legacy CDMA network is currently scheduled to go away in January 2022. T-Mobile is in the process of integrating Sprint’s legacy CDMA network into its’ current GSM network, however, to be candid, that process isn’t uniform in all areas and where it ends up in any particular given area is as you say is wait and see.

1 Like

Plan A has already started. No plan B to not have cell phones.
What to replace my current RW phones with?

RW is shutting down completely for CDMA users.
It looks like the dead line has been set to approximately Jan 2022.

Now who do I change to? I hear that RW has other options, but not for my phones, for that matter nobody in the USA will have an option for my CDMA phones.

So my Plan A is to find a new provider for new phones and be ready to start in Jan 2022.

EDIT: …new provider or new RW Plan …

T-Mobile (not RW) is shutting down Sprint’s legacy CDMA network and indeed currently says it will do so in January of 2022. T-Mobile’s plan is to integrate much of Sprint’s current coverage footprint (but not its’ CDMA technology) into its’ current network. T-Mobile acquired Sprint’s network when it merged with Sprint. Republic has no control over what T-Mobile does with what is now its’ property.

That would be entirely up to you, however, while it’s something to be aware of, it is not a decision that needs to be made today or necessarily at all.

Republic does indeed have another current option. Republic currently offers coverage on T-Mobile’s network. Additionally, Republic’s new corporate parent DISH Wireless has as indicated by the existence of this topic signed a 10-year deal with AT&T. That deal was signed by DISH with the intent of offering AT&T network coverage to Republic (as well as Boost and Ting) members. Republic likes to call customers members.

If Republic’s future AT&T or current T-Mobile coverage would work for you, I don’t see why you must leave Republic though I would respect if you choose to do so.

It sounds like you have an older legacy Republic phone (Moto DEFY XT, E1, E2, G1, G3, X1 or X2). If I’m right about that, then, yes, you are eventually going to need a new phone because as you say nobody not just Republic is going to be able to support them. One cannot support something designed for network technology that is no longer going to exist. This isn’t unique to certain Republic members with older phones. It’s a reality for some customers with older phones industry wide.

That’s fair enough, however, the eventual need for a new phone doesn’t automatically mean one must seek a new provider. I’d respectfully suggest folks wait to hear from Republic on the matter. I’m confident we’ll hear from Republic before there is a need to do anything. Meanwhile, business as usual. Nothing is happening to anyone’s Republic service in the interim.

4 Likes

I hope Boost customers and others currently on CDMA aren’t desperately grasping their old phones and planning to wait until the day before it ceases to exist to buy GSM-capable phones. DISH sounds as if they think that is the case or that many will be left sitting and crying without service. But I’m thinking what really concerns DISH is that people will move to GSM with companies other than one of theirs.

I left AT&T for RW because the AT&T coverage at my house was horrible. Had to go outside every time I wanted to make a call, and even then it was spotty. Using WIFI calling at home was a godsend. I will need to make a plan B. If DISH makes any changes that is unusable for me, I hope it isn’t before May 2020 when my annual payment is up for renewal.

What is the issue with the CDMA technology? Why is it being scuttled?

CDMA development basically stopped after the third generation of wireless mobile telecommunications technology (3G). Carriers are now deploying the fifth generation of wireless mobile telecommunications technology (5G).

Cellular providers need to sunset older networks because the radio signals used for cellular communication, called spectrum, are a limited resource. Keeping old networks fully enabled would mean that newer, more advanced networks and devices would be unnecessarily constrained due to a lack of available spectrum.

Each time a new generation of cellular technology comes along, cellular carriers, in coordination with government agencies like the FCC, begin to sunset the oldest networks to free up spectrum and network resources for the newest networks - which can take advantage of that spectrum more efficiently.

(Content above taken from 3G Shutdown Update: Carriers Sunsetting 3G to Make Room for 5G - Mobile Internet Resource Center)

4 Likes

Are you saying wifi calling will no longer be available?

Hi @Stuckin79,

There is no particular reason to believe having AT&T available as a coverage option would preclude WiFi calling. Republic’s implementation of WiFi calling and text messaging is not dependent on the cellular network used for coverage.

4 Likes

Not only that, but all of the major networks, including AT&T have their own implementation of wifi calling and texting so not having such support would require that something Republic does would make neither their version nor the carrier version work. Highly unlikely.

1 Like

Republic’s uniqueness has been has been somewhat because of their (our) numbers being based on VOIP. That allowed early adoption of EiFi calling and Extend Home (now no longer available to new customers) and probably has played a role in their high quality blended calling.

To me, the end of availability of Extend Home is a hint that RW’s VOIP foundation may be going away. If that happens, there will be plusses and minuses but I would definitely miss Extend Home.

RW has been giving away a lot of swag lately, I was one of the lucky ones to get some. Is new branding coming, Dish Mobile to compete with Xfinity mobile?

Southpaw has been candid about cleaning out the Community treasure chest, so I suppose new branding might be in the offing (speculation not inside information). That said, new branding doesn’t mean a name change. According to Republic itself, the brand name is not changing: FAQs from our announcement about DISH.

That sounds reassuring, but I wonder if the sale of RW was contingent on maintaining the name. Even if DISH has said they don’t plan to combine their 3 MVNOs under a single name, their ideas on that could change tomorrow without contractual agreement. But as interested as I am in RW’s keeping its name, I’m even more anxious to know that wi-fi first will still be the order of the day.

What constitutes wifi first? All of the major carriers have wifi calling. You can, on Android phones, set the wifi calling to “Wi-fi preferred” or “Mobile network preferred”. In the wi-fi preferred setting the phone will make calls on wifi even in the presence of a good cellular signal.

All phones (iPhones and Android) prefer wifi for data.

IMNSHO it has been years since “wi-fi first” meant anything. Republic’s wifi first was groundbreaking at a time where most carriers didn’t have wifi calling at all. It remained ahead of the pack when the big guys rolled out wifi calling, but only as a fall back. That’s just not the case any more. The “interesting” things that Republic offers/ed including Extend Home and Anywhere were enabled by the VoIP nature of the service, which is quite separate from “wifi first” and comes with its own hurdles (slower porting, refusal to accept number by certain companies, etc).

When you say

what are you worried about losing?

1 Like

From Wireless | DISH

Interesting. Did they decide that RW green doesn’t contrast enough with Ting? I’m glad I have “legacy” Republic swag!

2 Likes

Who knows? I’ve been involved with some corporate brand groups and the discussions are always too weird for me to follow. DISH has used red as a brand color for a long time. Ting now, apparently, uses blue to blue/green (blue/green is new to them). The Republic “green macaroni” has been replaced with DISH’s satellite communications mark (and is also on Boost’s logo). Right or wrong, whenever I see DISH’s satellite communications mark it always makes me think of one-way top-down communication.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer