Hypothetical Warranty Question w/ Regard to CDMA Provisioned Phone

Let’s say, hypothetically, I have a CDMA provisioned 3.0 phone that needs warranty repair/replacement (in either case I could be sent a refurbished phone). What happens when I receive a different phone from the manufacturer than the one I sent in? It’s not currently possible to activate it on CDMA, correct?

Edit: While hypothetical, this situation is one I am interested in because my mother in law will likely need a phone with more storage soon. She is in a CDMA coverage area (according to the Coverage Check | Republic Wireless with which I concur), and she tends to break electronics.

1 Like

You raise an excellent question. While I do not have a definitive answer, my suggestion in the interim is folks with potential warranty claims with a Republic 3.0 phone provisioned for CDMA raise a help ticket prior to dealing with the manufacturer. In fact, I suggest doing so before pursuing warranty claims generally with any manufacturer other than Samsung.

The easiest way I know of to determine which cellular network, one’s 3.0 phone is provisioned on is to dial ##786##. Either nothing will happen, which means GSM. Or, one is presented with a menu making the cellular partner (Sprint) obvious.

Edit: While hypothetical, this situation is one I am interested in because my mother in law needs a phone with more storage. She is in a CDMA coverage area (according to the Coverage Check | Republic Wireless ), and she tends to break things.
If she does the breaking, what would be the warranty issue? Insurance against accidental damage would, of course, present a similar conundrum.

rolandh wrote:

Insurance against accidental damage would, of course, present a similar conundrum.

As would sending a phone in for repair in a case where it may simply be exchanged for a refurb.

Wait, how did this become a question with a correct answer? I thought I opened it as a discussion.

a question is a type of discussion (I saw it as a question to begin with, may guess for a correct answer would have been done by a moderator

Hmm. There were two options under “Things to Do”, one was “Start a Discussion”, the other was “Ask a Question”. Perhaps there is little difference. Anyway, @rolandh helped further the discussion as far as it needed to go. If warranty, go through Republic (unless it’s a Samsung, and then ?). If damaged through other means, that’s still a real question for those who may receive a replacement phone from a source other than Republic Wireless. I’ve sent phones for screen replacement to Motorola and received a refurb in exchange.

I should clarify my answer. If one has a CDMA (Sprint) provisioned Republic 3.0 phone including a Samsung, I strongly suggest working with Republic support via a help ticket rather than contacting the manufacturer first regarding potential warranty replacement or “repairs”.

I further suggest that contacting Republic support (when the phone was purchased from Republic) before speaking with the phone’s manufacturer (other than Samsung) regarding warranty replacement is a conversation worth having with any Republic phone. Republic has working relationships with the manufacturer’s that allow them to assist with this. Samsung marches to the beat of its’ own drummer.

I suppose the Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Phones section of “Return and Replacement Policy” covers their position on non-warrantable damaged phones. It’s not something I would typically do (and purchasing from a third party wouldn’t get the job done if you were CDMA provisioned), but…

In the event you lost your phone, was stolen, or damage was caused by you (accidental or not), these types of replacements aren’t covered under warranty. In the event your phone is lost, stolen or damaged, please follow the below instructions:

1) Purchase a New Phone
Begin by purchasing a new Republic phone either in our online store or from a third party. If you need help with how to order from our online store, you can follow the instructions in this document: How to Use the Online Store.

2) Activate Your New Phone
*Turn on your replacement phone and follow the activation steps on the phone. Be sure to sign into your Republic account when activating. You can also follow these step-by-step instructions. *

Message an
Expert customer