I am going to Maui. I put in the zip code and it said that bring your own phone does not work there

I am going to Maui. I put in the zip code and it said that bring your own phone does not work there. I have a unlocked Moto G4 Plus I bought off Amazon. It is the phone I have been using with my Republic service. What is going to happen when I try to use it in Maui?

It just means that coverage might not be very good in Maui. You can still use your phone on WiFi and should have good success.

As @coreyk was saying, you just might get spotty to no coverage depending on where you go. Keep in mind that you can still use Wi-Fi to call and text. Most resorts and hotels have free wifi (although it can be pretty unreliable). On another note, I am going to Hawaii too! I am going to Kauai and Oahu this summer. Enjoy your trip!

mb2x

Looking at the underlying carrier maps the coverage in Maui on the GSM carrier looks about the same as any other carrier there. Good coverage in most areas you’ll go, but poor/no coverage in West Maui Forest Reserve, Koolua Forest Reserve, Hana Forest Reserve, much of Haleakala National Park and much of Kahikinui Forest Reserve.

I don’t know what zip code you entered, but the two I entered says Republic has coverage. So at least some of the island will have coverage.

This is what happen when I went to Maui with my “bring your own phone” G4 +. I could not make or receive phone calls. When someone call the phone it would ring and I would answer and I could hear no one. Then the phone screen would go black and I would have to turn the phone off and on again. Text worked fine. Data worked fine also.

Sounds like you needed VoLTE enable

Could be, I do not know what that is but LTE was in the top display when I was over there.

Message an
Expert customer