I bought a new phone

I bought a Samsung s8+ to replace my moto x pure can I use the sim card in the moto x or will I need a new one?

Hi @tom4342,

Please check to see whether the SIM card from the Moto X Pure is GSM or CDMA.

If the X Pure is still working:

If not:

If it’s a GSM SIM card, you can move it to the new phone. Please be sure to reboot the new phone after installing the SIM card.

If it’s a CDMA SIM card, you cannot move it to the new phone. The Moto X Pure and the Samsung S8+ require different types of SIM cards. Additionally, our Help team would need to confirm compatibility of the S8+ on our CDMA network.

1 Like

Hi @tom4342,

I’m not sure why you’ve posted that in response to what I typed. Were you able to determine whether the SIM card in the Moto X Pure is GSM or CDMA?

I do notice the phone’s model number ends with “U” and we only support the model that ends with “U1”.

1 Like

Great

Did you try it? The ad is a bit confusing because the model that ends in “U” is typically not the “factory unlocked” version, but a “carrier unlocked” version.

But we’ve seen some of these phones that have been flashed with the “factory unlocked” software. If that’s the case, it might still activate with a GSM SIM card.

I could give that a try for asking for a refund im not sure what sim is in the moto x its been so long

just tried said this phone doesn’t work with republic wireless booted up with a tmobile logo

I believe you have grounds for a return based on how the phone was advertised, then.

What a bummer well at least i cured the pop up ad issues with the moto x pure

1 Like

@tom4342 You may find this helpful: How to Find a Compatible Unlocked Phone The fact that the phone is advertised as “GSM Unlocked” immediately indicates that it wouldn’t be properly compatible with Republic. More detail in the article above.

2 Likes

To make things worse the USPS sent the phone i returned to somewhere in Miami Florida when it was to go to Oaklawn ILL, they dont know where it is and because i went past the 12 day return policy on eBay i do not qualify for a refund.So i am out a phone and 330 dollars.The moral of the story never buy a phone on eBay.

1 Like

If u have tracking number and proof that you shipped it out during the return period…it is not your fault that the shipping carrier messed up and lost it/mis-delivered it.

Contact ebay and make a case, there also is PayPal Buyer Protection you can leverage.
It will take time, but u should be able to dispute it and get a refund.

2 Likes

The fact that the phone was misrepresented as being something it wasn’t should play a much bigger part in the return. After all you weren’t just returning it because you didn’t like the color or just changed your mind.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer