I have a 1st generation Moto X and the $5 plan. Can I upgrade my phone on the same plan?

I have a 1st generation Moto X and the $5 plan. Can I upgrade my phone on the same plan?

all new 3.0 phones need new 3.0 plans and there is no $5 plan exist on 3.0 plans (the cheapest is $15)

If you want Wi-Fi talk, text and data, you don’t really need an activated phone at all. you could just use Google Voice and Hangouts with the Hangouts Dialer over Wi-Fi. Use any GSM phone you want to use and just buy a prepaid SIM card from “whomever” when you need cellular service.

Warning: If you go this route, you will not have access to 911 emergency services through the Hangouts Dialer.

Warning: If you go this route, you will not have access to 911 emergency services through the Hangouts Dialer.
Very true, though even a deactivated cell phone should be able to make 911 emergency calls via the native Dialer (Phone app).

Just to cover all the bases, theoretically speaking, a used Moto X 2nd Gen. would be an ''upgrade" from the X1 and still be eligible for the $5 WiFi plan.

Just say’in.

Message an
Expert customer