I purchased a 200 GB micro SD card. My wife tells me that this will not be compatible with my Moto E phone

Needing more storage space (especially for music), I purchased a 200 GB micro SD card from Best Buy. My wife tells me that this particular card (a SanDisk brand product) will not be compatible with my Moto E phone. What say ye, tech wizards of the web? Should I open the package and try it or should I return the product unopened?

According to the tech specs on both Republic supported versions of the Moto E, the max SD card size is 32GB

Moto E (1st Gen.) Tech Specs

Moto E (2nd Gen.) Tech Specs

MicroSD slot supports up to 32GB expandable memory
So, I think returning it and getting the 32GB card is the best route.

officially the Moto E 2nd only supports 32 GB Micro SD Cards though I have seen larger ones reported to work (96 GB being the largest I’ve seen)

Hi @anthonyf.dw6yal,

I think your wife is likely correct. Though like @drm186, I’ve seen reports that MicroSD cards larger than the officially supported 32GB will work nothing approaching 200GB. If it were to work at all, my guess is it would be unstable. If you care about what’s being stored on the card, I’d follow @mchasal’s and your wife’s advice.

Message an
Expert customer