I would like to purchase a phone for my Mom for Mothers Day.  When I get it, is it possible to set it up under her email address and her visa, even though I purchased the phone through my account?

I would like to purchase a phone for my Mom for Mothers Day. When I get it, is it possible to set it up under her email address and her visa, even though I purchased the phone through my account?

Yes, that is possible. No matter what account the phone was purchased under, it can be activated under a different account (your Mom’s account). Thus, she will not be paying for the phone, but she will be paying for the monthly plan.

If the phone does need to be returned for any reason though, that would have to go through your account.

michellen wrote:

Yes, that is possible. No matter what account the phone was purchased under, it can be activated under a different account (your Mom’s account). Thus, she will not be paying for the phone, but she will be paying for the monthly plan.

If the phone does need to be returned for any reason though, that would have to go through your account.

I’m curious about this. To return a phone during the 14-day return period all one need do is go to their account and deactivate the phone. I understand that under the scenario you describe the invoice for the phone that would be credited-back is in one account, the phone in another. I suppose a service ticket would be required. Is that correct?

In order for the purchaser to get the credit for the phone with the Money Back Guarantee, the phone would need to be returned under the same account it was purchased with.

The purchaser would not need to open a Help request. They would just need to initiate the return under the same account that they purchased the phone through.

The account that is using the phone, and paying for the monthly service fee, would be refunded the service fee portion under the 14 Day Money Back Guarantee.

A warranty return would be different. That could be initiated by the phone user.

Is there a way to do that in one’s account besides deactivating the phone during the 14 day period? In this case the phone is in his Mom’s account but the invoice is in his account.

I’m not sure what you mean?

When a phone is returned the invoice that paid for it is credited back. That invoice isn’t in the account from which the phone was returned. Perhaps the invoice is linked to the phone by serial number, I really don’t know, but the transaction seems unusual to me since accounts aren’t linked.

The account that purchased the phone would have to initiate the return using the same account they logged in to purchase the phone. Does that make sense?

Yes, the phone is credited back to the original purchaser under the Money Back Guarantee, even if that is not the account that the phone is activated under.

If I’m still not understanding what you are asking, let me know.

The only way I know to initiate a return short of opening a service ticket is by going into the account the phone is in and deactivating that phone. Is there another way? My confusion here is because the invoice that gets credited back is NOT IN THAT ACCOUNT. Remember, the OP is going to activate the phone in his mother’s account, not the account in which it was purchased.

Say, for example you buy a phone and pay for it with your account and then send it to me. I activate it in my account. 10 days later I go into my account (which does not contain an invoice for the phone) and deactivate it. It strikes me that RW would see that phone as a BYOD and not initiate the return process.

That’s what I’m trying to tell you Bill. You cannot initiate the return, since you did not purchase the phone. You would need to let me know that you want to return the phone, and then I would initiate the return since I paid for the phone.

We are getting close to clearing this up. The phone i activated should now be in my account. The return process is initiated in the phone’s menu. Are you telling me the phone is also in your account?

Bill I’m having trouble understanding why this has turned in to such a big deal here for you.

1. I bought you a new phone using my own account to purchase it. Thus, the purchase invoice is listed in MY account.

2. I give you the new phone as a gift, and you activate the phone under YOUR account, using your account credentials.You will be able to deactivate the phone under your account. A deactivation does not necessarily mean a return.

3. You decide you do not want to keep the gifted phone. I will log in to my account, as the invoice for the phone purchase is listed there. As long as we are still within the 14 day return period, I will begin the return process on MY account, using the purchase invoice.

I can’t stand it. The purchaser would use the steps here: https://community.republicwireless.com/docs/DOC-1714-return-and-replacement-policy#jive_content_id_Deactivated_Phone_Ret…

Thank you. That answers my question. I see a new procedure has been incorporated in the account to handle the return of phones that have been activated in a different account. I’m going to presume they have also taken the potential address difference into consideration too, since the different account could be in a completely different state.

First, this has been there for, IIRC at least a year. Second, what does the address matter. The customer isn’t being sent anything, how could their address be remotely relevant?

The addresses matter in two respects, calculation of shipping cost for the prepaid label and to whom the label is sent. The latter being easier for a person gifting a phone to reconcile by forward the label. I don’t know if it is possible to alter the return address prior to printing that label.

They are corporate clients of the shipper. This is not a unique situation, and I’m sure FedEx has a system in place for ensuring that they are paid for shipments on the Republic account. The label is prepaid for the customer in the sense that Republic is covering the cost; not that Republic has purchased the label and forwarded it.

I don’t see the return address issue as important either way; what is important is that the packages are tracked.

Not to mention, the label is sent by email, not snail mail. The buyer of the phone will get the return label to the email associated with the account. I’m not sure why this is all so hard.

Apparently RW changed the return procedure when they changed the activation process to permit activation in an account other than the one from which it was ordered. Having used the return procedure when RW 3.0 first came out to return a Moto G4+ I was only familiar with the steps that were in effect at that time. Those steps involved going to the phone’s options and cancelling service. If you go back in this thread you will see that I asked if there was another way to do this now but that question remained unanswered until you answered it. What makes this appear so hard to you is that, without that answer, I didn’t realize the procedure had been modified to accommodate the new activation scenario. I sincerely apologize to you for my profound ignorance. I’m old and tired and probably should leave the Community.

Message an
Expert customer