Important Notice: End of Legacy Phone Activations

It’s always lovely when a member of the community provides pertinent content.
Copied from the previous link:
Need Other Help Staying Connected?

As mentioned above, your mobile service provider may be offering special deals on new devices, including some deals that might include a free cell phone.

In addition, although they do not cover the cost of new devices, other FCC programs may be able to assist eligible consumers with the cost of phone or internet services:

• The FCC’s Lifeline program may be able to assist eligible consumers in getting connected to phone and internet services. The program provides a discount on phone service for qualifying low-income consumers to ensure that all Americans have the opportunities and security that phone service brings, including being able to connect to jobs, family and emergency services. You can learn more about the Lifeline Program and find out if you may be eligible here.
  • In addition, The FCC’s Emergency Broadband Benefit Program provides a temporary discount of up to $50 per month towards broadband service for eligible households during the COVID-19 pandemic. You can learn more about the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program, what it covers, and find out if you may be eligible here.

The vagaries of forum-speak certainly happened here. As southpaw observed, my comment of ‘removed’ did refer to granny’s clear mention that she removed her DISH-blaming of her own volition, not a admin removal.

The touchiness I mentioned was also not specified. I questioned how much actual guidance DISH is giving to Republic Wireless regarding upcoming changes to service, as well as future business plans. The concern here is that DISH is focused on their machinations, not helping customers and RW staff prepare for what is ahead. The subject of customers losing their old phones to the March of Technology is bound to be distressing for a few. I characterized my wife’s old phone as paltry for instance. So apologies are in order for my word choices.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Trying out other carriers

I understand about moving to 5G. Will my husband’s MotoX 1st gen work on 5G?

Hi @nancyc.jby0si,

In short, no. Further though your husband’s 1st generation Moto X supports 4G for cell data, it does not support calling and text messaging over 4G (a/k/a VoLTE).

Ultimately, your husband is going to need a new phone but there is still ample time for careful consideration. Your husband’s phone will continue to work until, at least, March 31, 2022. This is the date T-Mobile has said it will shut down Sprint’s legacy network upon which his phone depends. The date has already been pushed back once and may or may not be pushed back again. T-Mobile now owns Sprint’s legacy network as a result of its acquisition of Sprint last year.

I’m confident Republic will have more to say as T-Mobile’s intended shutdown date draws closer.

This isn’t about moving to 5G and no, other than high end phones for the last couple of years and now many mid range phones as well, most phones out there are not 5G (including the x1 which is barely 4G). What’s being turned off is 2G/3G which the X1 relies on for calling so when the old networks are turned off, there will not longer be any service available for the phone.

Is there a way to know if all my phones will or not work…MotoX (1) will not, Motorola play, Motorola g power?

The Moto G Play and Moto G Power will still work with Republic on the My Choice plan structure.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer