We received notice that the changes described below are now delayed until July 1, 2022, by T-Mobile. We still encourage members using the Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) and Huawei Ascend to replace their phones as soon as possible. Network changes are being implemented over time regionally, so you may experience a degraded service experience with these non-VoLTE phones.
October 1, 2021, July 1, 2022, as part of a large network upgrade, Republic’s network provider T-Mobile is making a global change that will require all phones on its GSM network to be capable of voice calls over the 4G LTE network (VoLTE calling). The following phone models have been identified as being unable to support VoLTE calling:
- Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) (SM-J320A)
- Huawei Ascend 5W (H1623)
If you have one of the phones listed above, you will need to replace your phone before
October 1, 2021 July 1, 2022, in order to avoid disruption to your cellular service.
- Your plan and phone number will not change when you replace your phone(s).
- You do not need to buy a new SIM card. Replacement phones from our online store come with a SIM card installed. Your current SIM card from the phones listed above can be moved to a replacement phone bought elsewhere.
- If you prefer to shop around, refer to our list of compatible 3.0 phones before making your purchase, and ask in our Member Community if you have any questions about compatibility.
- The Republic logo identifies compatible pre-owned phones on Swappa.
- Activation instructions can be found at: How to Activate a Replacement Phone
We are sending an e-mail to account owners who have one of these two phones in service. We encourage you to check the e-mail account you have listed on your Republic Wireless account. You can also check the model number of your phone by taking the following steps:
- Open the Republic app
- Tap the settings gear at top right
- Tap About to view the phone model listed just under your phone number
Additionally, effective immediately, we are no longer allowing these two phone models to be activated. Our cellular partner has indicated that newly activated non-VoLTE phones can no longer connect to their towers, so we want to avoid the possibility of a Republic member activating a phone that will not operate on the cellular network.
The requirement for VoLTE calling capability is a result of network improvements by T-Mobile and is a requirement for all phones on its GSM network. Republic Wireless and our parent company DISH Network L.L.C. understand this may be unwelcome news, and we are eager to help you through this change. If you have any questions, please reply below.