Improve the method for starting a new text message in Anywhere

The procedure for originating a text to a new number needs to be improved. There seems to be nothing on the page that will let you enter the message body and send it:

To see what I mean click on Conversation, then on New, and then enter a number. that is not in your contact list… Now try to enter the message you are sending to that number.

Moderator’s note: This topic originated in the Anywhere feature request thread, however as it is a request to make the UI more user-friendly rather than a new feature, it was split to its own thread. It has been brought to the Anywhere team’s attention and will not receive any less consideration by being in a separate thread.

you need to start the Text by clinking the check mark (indicating you done add names to the send list

1 Like

Nothing whatsoever happens when I click the upper check mark. What happens when you click it? When I click the lower check mark my entire contact list appears. When I scroll all the way to the bottom of that I see a field where I can enter the message body.

My point is that there is nothing intuitive about this which explains why two of my friends who installed this on their PCs have called to ask me how this is done.

1 Like

I am able to text non contact numbers, I tap the number and then the check mark

1 Like

I’m presuming you are tapping the lower check mark (as seen in my initial post). Doesn’t your entire contact list appear when you do this.? OK, I finally got it. Cripes, this is a mess IMHP.

1 Like

yes my full contact list pop up (to add as a second contact if wanted, it also gives the option to click the check mark to start the text

1 Like

Just look at that! S for Southpaw at the top of your contacts! :smiley_cat:

4 Likes

that column is the most recent text (the S is for Mrs. drm186

4 Likes

You’re married to Southpaw, who’d a thunk!!! laughing at the joke
OOPS!

1 Like

I would think Mr. Southpaw would have something to say about that

3 Likes

Not to mention Mrs. drm186 !!

3 Likes

I just installed this and trying to send a message to a number not in my contact list and cannot send a message. The checkmark is grayed out so I clicked below that where it says “send to xxxxx” and when I click that I get the error message “invalid contact” searched around and arrived on this thread.

1 Like

@debbiem.issonyxk9
remember republic still requires the 10 digit number for texts and calls (unless it a short code)
when you enter a number a non-contact but contact like icon will pop up with the number after

when you tap this it should bring you to the following screen

It’s her you need to click the check mark to start the typing the text

1 Like

Part of the problem you and I are experiencing is the use of symbols in place of words. an industry-wide phenomena. In this case the check marks invoke different functions in different places. At least some programmers explain the symbol when one hovers over it with their mouse pointer…

When testing this with a phony number it was equally cumbersome getting rid of what I had started in the right-hand pane. To do that I had to close and re-open the app since clicking on the X didn’t do what I was guessing it would.

2 Likes

@billg
you may be right that this should be improved (I was just showing how I was able to do it)
for me it seams like the correct procedure but I can see how one might not get it
to me it’s similar to how it works on the phone (I will admit I have started text in the to column on the phone the first few time as one needs to tap to the text field

1 Like

Thanks but like I said the check mark is grayed out. Nothing happens when I click it. But then below that it said “text to xxx” so I clicked that and then at the very bottom a message would pop up “invalid contact” (this was a short code). Mind you, this was happening on my computer. Then when my phone was finally charged enough it worked fine like you are showing above. So maybe then if you don’t have them as a contact nor have previously texted them, you can’t initiate it from the computer version of Anywhere? I was able to text other short codes from my computer, that I have previously texted.

Please let me know if I am not summarizing correctly…

Starting a new conversation can be confusing. Clicking “Send to (xxx) xxx-xxxx” in order to add it to the “To” field is not intuitive. Especially when combined with needing to click the check button in order to start the conversation.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer