Installed a System Update to 8.1 Now My Phone can't connect to cell

Installed System Update to 8.1, and now it’s saying I need to activate my phone or install a SIM card. I just keep rebooting again and again to no avail. I am connected via WIFI but not cell. When I click on “Get Activated” (as it continues to prompt me to do so) the screen is blank. I’m in some kind of loop.

What phone do you have? Moto G5 Plus

What plan are you on? 1 G Data

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? includes data

Issue Description

My phone is now doing it too. I installed 8.1 today, and now it’s telling me I need to activate my phone. When I click to activate, the screen is blank. It also tells me I need to install a republic SIM card. I don’t think I have one. I purchased the phone through republic, so wouldn’t it have it in there already? It’s just in a loop, and I can’t get it to do anything. I also can’t get the website to let me submit a ticket.

After Motorola 8.1 upgrade G5+ Republic keeps saying phone not activated

Hi @sarahf.q79bkz, I moved your second post that was in another topic here with your first post so that we’d have all your details in one place and not try to troubleshoot in two different places.

(So, to everyone else, she’s not talking to herself!)

There is supposed to be a SIM card installed when you order the phone from us. Is this a new phone, or a phone that was activated and working before you installed the update?

It’s an old phone. After following the restart and reinstall prompts four times, it seems to be working again. I’m back on my WiFi. Hopefully, it will continue working when I leave the house!

Thanks for following up to let us know!

I’m having the same issue. Has anyone been able to find a solution?

Luckily, I just kept downloading and installing and restarting every time it prompted me. And now it seems to be working fine. So I installed and rebooted probably 5 times before it finally worked. Good luck!!