International coverage

#I am traveling to Italy in December. Does Republic have a plan for international coverage?

Hi @glens

Republic does not offer cell coverage outside the US. You will be able to connect your phone to WiFi in Italy or anywhere else and call/text to numbers in the US & Canada at no additional charge.

Republic Wireless phones will work in Italy, and all other foreign countries, as follows:

When you are on WiFi, you will be able to make and receive calls and texts to and from the US and Canada. You will be able to do this for no additional charges from Republic Wireless.

The WiFi network you connect to will need to have the needed ports open to support a VoIP call. Most, but not all, WiFi networks you connect to will work.

If you want to call a number in another country, you will need an app like Skype to do that and there will be a charge for that from Skype (if that’s what you use). This will only work when you are connected via WiFi.

You will not be able to connect to the cell network in any foreign country but you will be able to connect to WiFi and access the Internet.

If you have a 3.0 phone, you could swap out the SIM for one from an Italian carrier and get local service that way.

There are no additional fees from Republic Wireless when you connect via WiFi in a foreign country.

Regards,
johnny_5

Italy has great public WiFi availability… I was able to use RW phone over there to make a few calls to US numbers. Call quality was hit or miss depending on the quality of the WiFi connection. In lieu of international calls, I used Whatsapp to interact with our local hotel contacts, etc.

As a side note:

If you can get digital tickets for your train travel, that is far more convenient than the paper tickets. The paper tickets need to be validated (except for assigned seating tickets). If you forget to validate the tickets, you can end up paying hefty fines.

Message an
Expert customer