International Travel with a Republic Phone

@jeffc.1xryfh, your statement of needing an iPhone is completely and totally false. For full disclosure, this is coming from a big hater of all things Apple, but I can backup my assertion to this fact with technical specs.

iPhone 7 and 7 plus cell network capabilities:

FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30)
TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)
TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Pulled this from the Apple website linked here: iPhone 7 - Technical Specifications - Apple

A popular phone here on the Republic network the Moto X Pure, but almost two years old in comparison to Apple’s current flagship:

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1700 (AWS),1900, 2100 MHz)
CDMA (800, 850, 1900 MHz)
4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 41)

Pulled from Motorola: Moto X Pure Edition (2015) - Unlocked Smartphone - Motorola

The most important parts of this is the GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequency (most domestic and international carriers use this for voice channel unless they have LTE calling like T Mobile). There is no difference. There is some difference in the LTE bands, but should still be sufficient with the Moto X Pure for overseas data.

Now for a more fair comparison, the Samsung S7 Edge:

Frequencies and Data Type

2G GSM: GSM850,GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900
3G UMTS: B1(2100), B2(1900), B4(AWS), B5(850)
3G TD-SCDMA: B34(2010), B39(1880)
4G FDD LTE: B1(2100), B2(1900), B3(1800), B4(AWS), B5(850), B7(2600), B8(900), B12(700), B18(800), B19(800), B20(800),B29(700), B30(2300)
4G TDD LTE: B38(2600), B39(1900), B40(2300), B41(2500)

Virtually no difference. A few LTE bands. More than sufficient for overseas travel. The bands that aren’t included on the S7 are for good reason. They aren’t being used by hardly anyone. I hate using Wiki as a source, but you can fact check it if you like.

LTE frequency bands - Wikipedia

6 Likes

Will Republic Wireless be adding international calling capabilities anytime soon? Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi @aarona.9l6u4c,

I’m not a Republic Wireless employee, so can’t say definitively whether Republic has plans one way or the other for adding international calling. I know of no imminent plans to do so. Historically, in my experience, Republic doesn’t generally announce future plans.

Meanwhile, there are third party services capable of filling the gap at modest expense. More information here: Adding International Calling to Your Republic Phone | Republic Wireless Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia.

Hi Republic forum, glad that you are here.

I want to ensure that I understand how this would work. I have a Motorola X Pure (new, 3.0 Clear Choice plan), so if I want to get a line and data on a trip to Canada, I would

1. remove the Republic Wireless SIM card from the device, and replace it with one from a Canadian company, and BAM, I’ve got a Canadian phone line and a data plan, and maybe GPS functionality. Is this correct?

2. When I want to use my ReWi phone in a WiFi area, I would simply remove the Canadian SIM card, and replace it with the ReWi SIM and my phone is back to normal. Is this correct?

Thank you, and I look forward to your reply.

1 Like

Hi @gerryz,

You are correct, sir!

2 Likes

Thanks rolandh!

Gonna try this in Canada this year and in Europe next year!

2 Likes

So… I’ll be traveling to the Dominican Republic at the end of September. How do I make sure I can use my phone there? New to this “international” stuff, so any help you can give a novice, is greatly appreciated :wink:

hi @n8vspud
which phone do you have
if not a 3.0 phone it will only work on WiFi to call home with out a 3rd party app(or calling card) which will allow the local numbers at the 3rd party cost (note this will still be on WiFi only)

3.0 phones have the option of picking up a local SIM swapping out that to use local cell tower and make local calls (swapping back in the Republic SIM will enable WiFi calls back to the US and Canada)

Bottom line, your phone, with Republic service, can’t work on cellular outside the US. While on unrestricted Wifi, it’ll work just like at home.

If you have one of the newer phones (not the legacy Republic specific Moto X1, X2, G1, G3, E1 or E2) you can use a local SIM card in the phone to get cellular service from a local provider while there. With the other SIM card in the phone, you won’t be able to use the wifi calling from Republic until you put the SIM back.

So if the resort I’m staying at has wi-fi, then I should be good with my Moto G4 being able to access to make text or phone calls? and then if I leave the resort, have to have a SIM Card or just be “unplugged” for awhile :wink:

I have the new Moto G4

If your resort has wifi that doesn’t block calling/texting, then yes, you are correct.

the Moto G4 is a 3.0 phone
Like all Republic phones on open WiFi one will be able to call US and Canadian Numbers as if it was in the US
with the Moto G4

if you need to call local numbers one can do so via third party apps at there current rates for that location

3.0 also can have the SIM swap with a local SIM and make calls via the local SIM’s Plan on the local Towers

I live in both the UK and the US and have RW (Moto G something or other but it’s an Android phone), just to make it pefectly clear, RW do NOT offer international calling, however, if you have Wi-Fi service when in the UK (as I do), you can use your RW phone as though at home in the US. My RW phone is on in the UK and connected to my Wi-Fi service and people call me and I call them but ONLY US / Canadian numbers either way. Hope this helps. PS I have no idea why this discussion went off on a tangent about frequencies and LTE coverage when outside of the US - IT DOES NOT WORK WHEN OUTSIDE OF THE USA - ONLY WI-FI WORKS.

1 Like

Hi @adrians.n18ggb,

It’s true that Republic’s service and its’ legacy phones (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1 and X2) will only work when on WiFi outside the U.S. Having said that, Republic’s new 3.0 phones will work on cellular networks outside the U.S. via local (in country) SIMs. For example, I’ve used multiple Republic 3.0 phones with a Three (a provider I’m confident you’re familiar with) SIM. When traveling outside the U.S. with a Republic 3.0 phone, one has the option of switching between Republic service on WiFi and local cellular service by swapping SIMs.

2 Likes

Damn! I was told they don’t work outside of the US on cell service, only Wi-Fi, obviously I have old information so my apologies for that if I am wrong. I am indeed familiar with Three, they are my UK service provider, it doesn’t change the fact though that the RW SIM doesn’t work outside of the US, is that correct? If you have to change the SIM to a local provider for the country you are in, then as I see it, RW doesn’t work on cell service in that country or am I really missing something? I agree the phone will work wherever the GSM service is available but if you have to change SIM’s then RW does not work outside of the US on cell service, in this particular case, Three does. Maybe I was right, RW does not work on cell outside of the US but DOES work on Wi-Fi anywhere in the world. I don’t know how many other ways I can say it.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth @adrians.n18ggb, I think your conclusion is spot-on ‘ol chap’.
:grinning:

I have an old high school friend visiting from Aussie-land and she had UK/US dual citizenship, so this post struck a chord with me

Why thank you kind sir :sunglasses: I wish I had dual citizenship, things would be sooooo much easier!

Hi @adrians.n18ggb,

Your conclusion is correct. Republic’s service does not work on cellular outside the U.S. Some (but not all) Republic phones do, however, work with alternative cellular service providers (like Three) outside the U.S.

This is a relatively recent development for certain Republic phones. It is (in part) why I wrote the original post you, I and others are conversing about. I did my best to present the various scenarios for using a Republic phone when outside the U.S. I’m open to any suggestions you (or others) may have for clarifying the original post.

Well, the original post was for travelling outside of the US and having read the whole post, it got a little off topic for ordinary end users what with frequency bands and LTE channels. End users really don’t care about that. They want to know, if I turn on my phone, will it work. Keeping it real simple, the GSM phones MUST meet certain criteria to be called a GSM phone so that means, regardless of make / model, if it’s a GSM phone, it will connect to any countries network providing they have a GSM service in use. In the bad old days when the US weren’t properly GSM you couldn’t use a proper GSM phone there. That’s all changed and the US now fully supports the GSM standards, it therefore follows that if you have any GSM phone, it (the phone) will work in any country that is GSM enabled (from memory, just about every country now in 2017). However, the major caveat to that is this, your service provider must have agreements in place with other cell carriers around the world before you can log onto the foreign network. For example, I use a UK provider called ‘Three’, they have negotiated with ATT and T-Mobile, Verizon and Cingular to enable my UK phone to connect to the US network, my UK HTC is a GSM phone so therefore I can connect pretty much anywhere in the US with a UK cell phone. The same is NOT true with my RW Moto G5 plus, there are no contracts in place with UK providers to allow the connection of a RW SIM. The phone is capable, the SIM is NOT, hence Wi-Fi only connections. If anybody wants the full explanation about home and visitor location registers and the way it all works including how your provider knows where your phone is, tell me and I’ll try and explain it simply.