International Travel with a Republic Phone

Just to be clear, this would not be an option with the Moto X1. The legacy phones (Moto X1, X2, G1, G3, E1 and E2) can not use any SIM other than the SIM that’s already in the phone.

I did the sane thing in France this summer and it worked great! (I used Lebara, it was very affordable)

2 Likes

I meant same thing as GerryZ whose post is at the beginning of this thread!

1 Like

For what it is worth, my wife and I traveled in the UK and Ireland last summer and we were very happy with our Republic phones. We bought a Three sim card for my Moto G5+ and kept the Republic sim in her Moto G4. Her phone worked great wherever Wifi was available such as hotels, trains, etc. My phone worker great for in country calls and mapping. We drove all over Corwwall and Ireland successfully mapping with Google Maps. In a couple of cases we had to resort to WhatsApp to get in touch with a family friend, but that was before we had the Three sim working properly. The Three sim transitioned from UK to Ireland very well and it had far more. data and texting capacity that we needed.
The Republic Wifi has also worked great in Mexico and Nicaragua, though obviously not for local calls.

6 Likes

Very helpful. I’ve been traveling outside the country for the past month, and noticed that I was only receiving about half of my texts when I got on WiFi. However, when I got back to my computer, I would find others on the Anywhere app. That’s helpful to know that I can downgrade to the WiFi only plan to force it to send messages over WiFi. That would be awesome if they reinstated the voice functionality to Anywhere! Also helpful tip to know that I can turn cell signal off by turning on Airplane mode then switching just WiFi back on.

1 Like

There are ways leveraging third party services to make calls to local (in country) numbers when on WiFi without resorting to SIM swapping. I also write about those here: Calling Internationally with a Republic Phone.

4 Likes

I do a lot of international traveling. I gave up trying to find a SIM card that works properly everywhere. Depending on a wifi connection is hit and miss. I want a constant connection so that my GPS will work real time when I am wandering around a foreign city. I want a wifi connection that’s up all the time and allows me to call whenever I want. I use a Skyroam portable wifi hotspot whenever I travel. https://zoonietravel.com/shop/skyroam/

1 Like

Hi,

I have a Moto G5 phone with a My Choice plan (I can’t figure out whether it’s a 4.0 plan).

Is it possible for me to get a TelCel SIM card when I get to Mexico and just pop it in my phone? I already have a GSM SIM in my phone from Republic Wireless.

Thanks,
Aaron.

My Choice, My Choice 4.0 and 4.0 are all different ways of saying the same thing. Further confusing the issue is Republic refers to its newer phones as 3.0. Thus, we have the unfortunate conundrum of My Choice plans sometimes being referred to as 4.0 running on 3.0 phones. Frankly, I’d like to see Republic settle on one name for branding purposes and leave it at that, however, the Marketing folks have yet to consult me on that. :slightly_smiling_face:

More to the point, you need not worry about Republic’s naming conventions. The answer to your question is a qualified yes. And, the only thing that’s qualified is you’ll want to verify with TelCel, they support a North American factory unlocked Moto G5 Plus or Moto G5S Plus. I’m confident their answer will be yes.

Finally, you reference a Moto G5, which is not a phone Republic supports. TelCel’s answer is unlikely to change, however, you have either a Moto G5 Plus or Moto G5S Plus. You may determine which by looking here when signed into your Republic account: Phones | Republic Wireless. The model is located under the graphic representing your phone. If, instead of what I just described, you see “Republic Supported Phone”, please let us know.

2 Likes

Yes I have a Moto G5 Plus.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I have a Moto G5 Plus with Republic service.

I just checked with TelCel, and their instructions say to order a SIM.

Is my phone unlocked? Is in on the 1900 MHz band? (How would I find this out?)

Thanks!
Aaron.

Yes your G5+ will work just fine with a Telcel SIM.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

When purchasing a TelCel SIM, what should I select? “Unlocked GSM Phone”?

Yes, your Moto G5 Plus is an unlocked GSM capable phone.

2 Likes

This is a great thread. Thanks to @rolandh for getting it started. We will be traveling to Europe later this year, so this is great information. I am slightly confused on one thing though. In the above posts I have read both that you CANNOT use a local SIM card in a RW 3.0 phone that is provisioned to the CDMA carrier, and I have also read that you CAN use a local SIM card in a 3.0 phone that is provisioned to the CDMA carrier. Which is correct? And is it true that the RW App must be uninstalled in order to use a local SIM?

It is entirely possible to use a local SIM in a Republic 3.0 phone provisioned for domestic CDMA coverage. What you don’t want to do is travel with that CDMA SIM if planning to switch between Republic service on WiFi outside the U.S. and local (in country) cellular service. Outside the U.S. CDMA networks with rare exceptions are non-existent. If equipped with a Republic CDMA SIM, there have been instances where a 3.0 phone will attempt to locate a compatible CDMA network, which does not exist. An unfortunate side effect of this renders Republic service inoperable even on WiFi. Therefore, the solution is to move Republic service from CDMA to GSM for the duration of one’s international travels then switch back to CDMA for domestic cellular coverage upon one’s return home. If one intends to use local (in country) cellular service exclusively while traveling abroad, this precaution is unnecessary. Before making that decision, one would want to consider that calls back home would be charged at whatever the international rates offered by the local cellular provider are.

In my experience, it is not necessary. In fact, if one wishes to switch between Republic service on WiFi and local cellular service (by swapping SIMs) when away from WiFi, the Republic app is required for the former. Unlike legacy Republic phones, a Republic SIM must be present in the phone for WiFi calls.

1 Like

So to be sure that I am understanding: When in Europe I need the RW CDMA SIM in order to use my RW number for calls and texts when I am on WiFi. But I need to remove the RW CDMA SIM when I am in Europe and am off WiFi because there is a chance that the RW service will become inoperable. Correct?

But in any case, if I purchase a local SIM while in Europe, I should be able to switch back and forth between the RW CDMA SIM (when on WiFI) and the local SIM (when not on WiFI) even though I have a RW CDMA phone. Correct?

I am just starting to research SIM cards and have been leaning towards Orange, but reading your experience with Three, I will investigate that as well. It’s still a few months before we leave, but I want all of the ducks in a row before then.

Not exactly, one doesn’t want to travel internationally with a Republic CDMA SIM. If one does so, there’s a chance Republic service will become inoperable even if using it on WiFi only. Phones are designed to connect to cellular networks even when using it on WiFi. Republic’s suggested best practice is obtaining a Republic GSM SIM to activate in place of one’s CDMA SIM for the duration of one’s travel outside the U.S. Upon return to the U.S., one reverses the process by reactivating the CDMA SIM in place of the GSM SIM. This deactivation then reactivation sequence only becomes an issue if traveling outside the U.S. for more than 20 days. If this is the case, please let us know. To obtain a GSM SIM for upcoming international travel, please open a ticket.

No, you would want to swap back and forth between a Republic GSM SIM (to use Republic service on WiFi) and local SIM when traveling outside the U.S. There is no such thing as a 3.0 Republic CDMA phone per se. All Republic 3.0 CDMA compatible phones are also compatible with GSM.

I’ve had a good experience with Three. I believe @southpaw had a good experience with Lebara. There’s nothing wrong with Orange, though one might think of them and Vodafone to be European equivalents to the likes of AT&T or Verizon.

2 Likes

So couldn’t I leave the CDMA SIM inserted, put the phone on Airplane Mode, and activate WiFI to use my RW talk/text on WiFi when in Europe without fear of the phone trying to connect to some CDMA network and disabling itself? Then insert the local SIM and take the phone off of Airplane Mode when I need to use the phone off WiFi?

I guess I can avoid the whole issue by just not using my CDMA RW Pixel 2 and instead using my wife’s GSM RW Pixel on the trip. But if I can use mine, I’d rather do so.

Message an
Expert customer