International Travel with a Republic Phone

I have a Moto G 1st Gen Phone on the old $10 plan and a Moto G 4th Gen on the $15 Clear Choice plan. My understanding is that we can use the phone in Canada much the same as we use in US IF WE ARE ON WIFI. MY understanding is that the phones will not work on cell in Canada. Please confirm. Is it necessary to put our phones in Airplane mode and then turn off Airplane mode when we have access to Wifi? In other words, keep the phone in Airplane mode unless we can access Wi-Fi. I had read this somewhere. Will text messages be delivered once we access WiFi?

you are correct there is no Cell coverage in Canada,
airplane mode will help with battery mode (and when you find WiFi in Canada you only need to turn on the WiFi radio airplane mode can still be left on for battery life)
for the Moto G4 all text will be sent by IP (data) so there nothing that needs to be done to manage text you will get them via WiFi data or when you get back to the States and the phone see a cell tower data (aqll 3.0 phones work this way)
\for the Moto G1 st WiFi mode will not effect text if Republic can not find you phone via a WiFi data connect it will forward the text to Sprint and you will not get it until the phone connect to a US based cell tower or a time out (usually hours) when they be deleted
there are 2 way to stop this from happening

1. install Republic anywhere as you default Texting app and it will convert you Text to IP base like the 3.0 phones
  2. move to the WiFi only ($5) plan (this can be done instantly on 1.0 plans ($10 Voice and Text + WiFi data) or on billing date for 2.0 Refunds plans ($10 Base Plan) (see what plans structure you on by opening the Republic and seeing what’s under your phone number)

Correct

Correct

Necessary, no. Recommend, yes. Otherwise your battery will drain very quickly while the phone searches for a cellular signal it can use.

On the $15 plan, yes.

On the $10 plan, no. Let me explain. On the $10 plan, when a text is sent to your phone Republic attends to deliver by data. The moment that fails, they send it to Sprint. Once that’s done, it can’t come back. SO, unless the phone happens to be on wifi the moment that the text is sent, it will be handed to Sprint and not received until the next time you connect to Sprint AND, if more than a couple of days pass Sprint will drop the text as undeliverable and it won’t be delivered at all. See the reply above this one for brilliant advice on using Republic Anywhere to solve this issue.

@patrickc.pkypbj You are correct, currently we don’t support international calling or messaging, not even to Mexico or Canada.

Once you enter into Canada, you can put your phone on airplane mode and use WiFi for all your calls and texts. Your phone will behave as it normally would if you were still in the U.S and you will be able to communicate with all your friends and family in the States.

Oh the joys of having WiFi for calling and messaging :slight_smile:

True of cellular service inside Canada, however, both calls and messaging to Canadian numbers on both WiFi and cell when in the U.S. and on WiFi when outside the U.S. is indeed supported.

Based on my recent travel overseas and follow up ticket with RW, I would like to note that I was unable to use my RW phone due to a bogus “no SIM CARD” error on a Moto X Pure activated on a Clear Choice Plan. The phone worked fine for a few days…but then randomly started giving “No SIM Card” error message. I was pretty sure there wasn’t anything wrong with my SIM card…as there was no physical damage/trauma to the phone during this entire time. Once, after a few restarts the error message went away…but then prompted me to restart the phone to complete activation at which point the error returned and stayed on for the rest of my overseas travel. The moment, I landed back in the US the error message went away as soon as it picked up a cellular signal.

RW support acknowledged this as a known issue and recommended that I remove SIM card and use a local SIM card. But if you expect to be able to continue using your phone on WiFi…that can get hampered by this scenario. I have had good success using my 2.0 Refund plan Moto X1 for an extended time in airplane mode during my previous travel to the same location and on the same WiFi.

3.0 plan members should be aware of this potential issue while traveling overseas.

Not sure what you were experiencing, but my mom just travelled all over Europe, for over a month, with her Moto G4. Everything work exactly as planned. Not a SIM card error to be seen.

A post was split to a new topic: Charges when changing plans

I’ve use my RW phone in England on several occasions (with 3.0 and prior versions) and had no issues with making WiFi calls. Sorry to hear that @amltl had issues during their trip. :slightly_frowning_face:

Hello & thank you in advance for your help!

I’m traveling to Paris with my Moto G4 and even reading through the answers, I’m still a bit fuzzy. : )

Which of the following can I do with Wifi access and no SIM card?

text Paris phone #
call Paris phone #
text US phone #
call US phone #
access gmail, google maps, FB messenger, Lyft, etc apps

I won’t really need to use the phone to call, since I’ll be staying with someone with a phone.
If I can access Apps via Wifi, I feel like I can go a couple of weeks with no SIM card…

Thank you!

Assuming you mean the Republic SIM in the phone, see answers below.

No

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

Recently returned from trip to Germany and Austria. My wife and I have Galaxy S7 s. We never had a problem connecting to any WiFi network. We were able to make calls to the US, use text messaging and the internet just like being at home.

I installed TunnelBear VPN before we left and paid $10 for one month of unlimited data. That included both phones. There is no need to buy another phone.

While traveling in Malaysia on WIFI, I have had trouble with SMS messages showing up and also with VoiceMail indications. If you cannot see the VM icons, you can’t listen and don’t know! Is there a possibility of an enhancement to the Republic Application for this? Thank you! All this was while using a DEFY XY. I am now on a MOTORLA G4.

There have been a ton on enhancements since the Defy. Whether they would have solved the issue is a question. The behavior that you’re indicating sounds like the networks there blocking the needed ports for these notifications. No app improvement is going to solve that.

Hi @kennethd.tdm,

More likely than not the WiFi networks in Malaysia were blocking the MQTT protocol, which Republic uses for both text messaging delivery and voicemail notifications. As mentioned by @louisdi a Republic app update won’t solve this dilemma.

More on required ports and protocols for Republic’s service here: WiFi 1st - Maximize your WiFi/Router - Community Guide. You’ll need to scroll to the section titled Open Access - Required Ports & Protocol. In short, Malaysian WiFi networks aren’t providing sufficient open access.

Just a thought: If people just need to send texts (SMS) to people in other countries, I’ve found a way to ‘work around’ it with Republic Wireless via Google Allo. Although Google attempts to get you to “invite” the person to be part of the Allo “community” (in which case it works like WhatsApp). there is a way around it: when you’re going to send a text, type in the telephone numbers themselves rather than letting Allo take them from your contacts, and then you can directly send an SMS to a person in another country without they’re being signed into the community. Good luck to all.

Last Fall I traveled through Ireland, UK and Spain. When in London I purchased a SIM from THREE installed it in my Moto 4G (2nd) – it tried to start but then failed. I never got it to work even after the efforts of one of London’s best wireless geeks. I gave up and bought a cheapo Europhone (wasted $$) which I never used. This experience led me to formally suggest RW sell a dual SIM phone with software switching so that we can enable an EU SIM when traveling overseas.

Believe me it IS IMPORTANT TO ACCESS LOCAL PHONE AND DATA when traveling as many of us are used to using GPS to guide us around unfamiliar areas and this goes double for EU travel. Also helpful to be able to call local restaurants, hotels, tourist stops to check their websites for up to date info. Yes, you CAN do this via local WiFi but that does no good when navigating down the narrow streets of old Barcelona!! And accessing Google’s “What’s nearby” mapping can prevent you from frustration or starvation whilst exploring a new City.

When in the outlands of County Galway, I had my Moto connected to hotel WiFi, it rang and my Seattle Credit Union guy was greenlighting my VISA for EU purchases - he sounded like he was next door!! Very helpful! Thanks for great VOIP RW!!

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM

A post was split to a new topic: Perceived Moto G4 issue

Hi @richardc.lsvn7m,

It’s unclear to me what you mean by a Moto 4G (2nd)? Are you referring to a Moto G 4th Generation or some other phone? If the G4, is it the G4, G4 Play or G4 Plus?

In any event (presuming we’re talking some flavor of the G4), I’m surprised you had difficulty with a Three SIM. I’ve specifically used Three when traveling in the U.K. in multiple Republic compatible phones though not a G4. In fact, I still have that Three SIM, which is usable in the U.S. Three has international roaming agreements with both AT&T and T-Mobile.

If a particular phone and SIM don’t get along, a dual SIM phone won’t necessarily solve the problem. Whether single SIM or dual SIM, phone and SIM must still get along.

Amazingly enough, I was able to text and call on my Moto G1 while in China over WiFi. The government there has all things Google on complete lockdown, so I wasn’t able to access email or do any searches through that route. We definitely knew our activity was being closely monitored, as our connection would be randomly cut if we tried searching on Yahoo for anything the government deemed ‘sensitive’. Very surreal experience…