International Travel with a Republic Phone

It would be best and easiest to remove the RW SIM from the phone AND the RW app, inorder to make use of the eSIM for Fi as Fi is its own app and having the RW app installed may cause conflicts with the new version of the Fi app and its Enhanced network features that work on the Pixel 3.

If you are gone less then 20 days, then I would just leave your RW service as it is active, then you can “come back” just by deactivating and removing Fi, and putting your RW sim back in the phone then reinstalling the app and re-activating the phone.

Phone calls to RW number will go to VM. Texts will not be delivered normally. It will be as if you phone is off. Texts however, you can install Republic Anywhere and get your RW texts that way.

If you are not porting or transferring over your number to another carrier, you are not switching out of Republic. You are just using the phone on another carrier per its own unlocked capabilities. U can still have active service with any company and swap other SIM cards into the phone.

1 Like

You do not need to remove the SIM. It’s possible to switch between a Pixel’s eSim on Fi and a physical SIM in Settings. To do so:

1. Open Settings.
  2. Tap Network & Internet.
  3. Tap Mobile Network.
  4. Tap Advanced.
  5. Tap Carrier.
  6. You’ll see options for available carriers (Fi on the eSIM and Republic or whomever’s physical SIM one is using).

It’s possible to switch between Fi and Republic service (when on WiFi) using the above method. Switching to Republic service on the physical SIM would cause the Republic app to present a brief “activation” sequence. It is not possible to have both the eSIM and a physical SIM active simultaneously

As you’re not cancelling Republic service by moving your number to Fi, your SIM remains active and the 20 day rule does not apply.

Calls sent to your Republic number when using the eSIm will go to voicemail. You might forward them to your new Fi number using voicemail forwarding as described here: How to Enable Voicemail Forwarding – Republic Help. Text messages would be held for delivery until the next time you switched to the Republic SIM when connected to WiFi.

As you’re not canceling your Republic service while using Fi, no.

3 Likes

Hi @minilaura,

There is one additional thing to take into consideration. When traveling outside the U.S., it is advisable not to do so using a Republic CDMA SIM. To see if that might be an issue for you, please take the following steps on your Pixel: How to Tell If a Phone Is Active on GSM or CDMA – Republic Help. If your Republic SIM is GSM, no worries. If it’s CDMA, let us know.

3 Likes

Thanks @rolandh and @SpeedingCheetah! I knew someone would have all the answers.

My phone has a GSM SIM (I checked that already!), so it sounds like I should have a relatively pain-free trip in terms of my phone.

0 Likes

Assuming you have the Google version of the Pixel 3 yes…the eSIM on the Verizon version of the phone is disabled.

0 Likes

I have bought the unlocked version from Google.

0 Likes

Then you should be fine.

The Google Store does also offer the VZW Pixel.
I just thought it prudent to note this little fact for any others that may read this thread later on.

0 Likes

I have a Moto x1 and have been using it for calls back to the US on my annual winter vacation in SE Asia since the first year I owned it. I also carry a second phone with a local (e.g. Thailand) SIM card because it is just too much hassle to swap SIM cards in my Moto x1 every time I want to call the US. The Moto x1 phone works very well for my wi-if calls to and from the US. In fact, the call quality is usually so good that people in the US often ask me if I am back home because the call is so clear. I only wish that RW would offer a dual SIM phone so I did not have to carry a second phone abroad.

0 Likes

Just to be clear, this would not be an option with the Moto X1. The legacy phones (Moto X1, X2, G1, G3, E1 and E2) can not use any SIM other than the SIM that’s already in the phone.

0 Likes

I did the sane thing in France this summer and it worked great! (I used Lebara, it was very affordable)

2 Likes

I meant same thing as GerryZ whose post is at the beginning of this thread!

1 Like

For what it is worth, my wife and I traveled in the UK and Ireland last summer and we were very happy with our Republic phones. We bought a Three sim card for my Moto G5+ and kept the Republic sim in her Moto G4. Her phone worked great wherever Wifi was available such as hotels, trains, etc. My phone worker great for in country calls and mapping. We drove all over Corwwall and Ireland successfully mapping with Google Maps. In a couple of cases we had to resort to WhatsApp to get in touch with a family friend, but that was before we had the Three sim working properly. The Three sim transitioned from UK to Ireland very well and it had far more. data and texting capacity that we needed.
The Republic Wifi has also worked great in Mexico and Nicaragua, though obviously not for local calls.

5 Likes

Very helpful. I’ve been traveling outside the country for the past month, and noticed that I was only receiving about half of my texts when I got on WiFi. However, when I got back to my computer, I would find others on the Anywhere app. That’s helpful to know that I can downgrade to the WiFi only plan to force it to send messages over WiFi. That would be awesome if they reinstated the voice functionality to Anywhere! Also helpful tip to know that I can turn cell signal off by turning on Airplane mode then switching just WiFi back on.

1 Like

There are ways leveraging third party services to make calls to local (in country) numbers when on WiFi without resorting to SIM swapping. I also write about those here: Calling International Numbers with a Republic Phone.

3 Likes

I do a lot of international traveling. I gave up trying to find a SIM card that works properly everywhere. Depending on a wifi connection is hit and miss. I want a constant connection so that my GPS will work real time when I am wandering around a foreign city. I want a wifi connection that’s up all the time and allows me to call whenever I want. I use a Skyroam portable wifi hotspot whenever I travel. https://zoonietravel.com/shop/skyroam/

1 Like

Hi,

I have a Moto G5 phone with a My Choice plan (I can’t figure out whether it’s a 4.0 plan).

Is it possible for me to get a TelCel SIM card when I get to Mexico and just pop it in my phone? I already have a GSM SIM in my phone from Republic Wireless.

Thanks,
Aaron.

0 Likes

My Choice, My Choice 4.0 and 4.0 are all different ways of saying the same thing. Further confusing the issue is Republic refers to its newer phones as 3.0. Thus, we have the unfortunate conundrum of My Choice plans sometimes being referred to as 4.0 running on 3.0 phones. Frankly, I’d like to see Republic settle on one name for branding purposes and leave it at that, however, the Marketing folks have yet to consult me on that. :slightly_smiling_face:

More to the point, you need not worry about Republic’s naming conventions. The answer to your question is a qualified yes. And, the only thing that’s qualified is you’ll want to verify with TelCel, they support a North American factory unlocked Moto G5 Plus or Moto G5S Plus. I’m confident their answer will be yes.

Finally, you reference a Moto G5, which is not a phone Republic supports. TelCel’s answer is unlikely to change, however, you have either a Moto G5 Plus or Moto G5S Plus. You may determine which by looking here when signed into your Republic account: Phones | Republic Wireless. The model is located under the graphic representing your phone. If, instead of what I just described, you see “Republic Supported Phone”, please let us know.

2 Likes

Yes I have a Moto G5 Plus.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I have a Moto G5 Plus with Republic service.

I just checked with TelCel, and their instructions say to order a SIM.

Is my phone unlocked? Is in on the 1900 MHz band? (How would I find this out?)

Thanks!
Aaron.

0 Likes

Yes your G5+ will work just fine with a Telcel SIM.

1 Like

Message an
Expert customer