Internet speed for phone

Let us say that the download speed of my Internet connection on my desktop computer, connected with an Ethernet cable to my modem/router, is nnn according to speedtest.net. Running the speedtest app on my Android phone with the Wifi connection the download speed is nnn / 4 . Is it “normal” for the download speed of my phone, using the wifi connection where I live, to be one-fourth the speed of my desktop computer using a wired connection ?

BTW the download speed of my laptop, with a wired connection to my modem/router, is one half the speed of my desktop computer. I also find this odd considering my laptop CPU, although slower than my desktop CPU, runs much faster than half the speed of my desktop.

Can anyone explain the difference in download speed between my cell phone and other devices, or is this completely “normal” ?

Wifi is always slower than wired. What phone model do you have? That would determine the max link rate the phone can connect with. Most budget phones are 150mbps, and higher end phones are 300+mbps wifi chips in them.

Wifi performance also will vary greatly depending on your environment. Such has crowed channels etc. Or if you are using 2.4ghz band, vs the higher performance 5ghz band. Or what generation and model router you have. The older N models can not push very fast wifi compared to todays very fast ISP speed packages.

The CPU of a computer or phone has nothing to due with the internet speed.
Maybe have a look at this article.

I have a moto g6 cell phone. I have a fast modern router from Charter Spectrum. Is there any way I can tell from my phone what is the maximum mbps speed it can run ? I do understand that wifi is slower than wired, but I admit i did not expect my wifi cell phone to be only 1/4 the speed of my wired desktop.

What is the speed your desktop gets? What does the speedtest report for both?
What is the speed package you pay for from your ISP?
If is is very fast, like 1gig speed, then it is normal for wifi to be much slower than wired. etc.
Without posting your actual speeds that you think are so slow, it is very hard to tell you what is normal or not.

Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual-band is what the Moto G6 support, so that model does not support the newest AC wifi standard. So u are looking at 300Mbps max link speed., probably 150 though.

Have you tried connecting the phone to the 5ghz wifi network, if you want better performance?

The desktop gets approximately 400 mbps. The laptop gets about 200 mbps. The motog6 gets about 100 mbps. The desktop and laptop are both wired connections. The motog6 is wireless.

The speed package from Charter Spectrum is 400 mbps.

What is the newest AC wifi standard ?

The phone is connected to the 5ghz wifi network.

100 mbps sounds about average for that phone.

You could try some of the steps listed in that article i linked to previously to see if you can improve on your wifi network.

With the
ISP providing 400 Mbps. it would appear to me that the laptop getting only 200 Mbps would be because of a different chipset in the laptop. Here is a chart showing theoretical max and Typical real-world top speeds. I would think that your 100 Mbps is in the expected range.

• What router are you using, as that could also be a limiting factor of the WiFi and possibly contribute to the difference between PC & Desktop (due to internal chip that provides the switch connections for the Ethernet attached devices. This will also allow checking to see if WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia) is enabled (which it should be, but many routers it is not the default)
  • As a test, could you run the phone speedtest again with ALL devices disconnected from the router?
1 Like

Don’t those 802.11 standards refer only to a wireless connection ? My desktop and laptop both have a wired connection to my modem router.

Yes, but the WiFi speed is what you were questioning. The WiFi provided by the router has to communicate with the Router, where the phones data is put in the same transmit queues as the Ethernet devices, and WMM provides QoS (Quality of Service) to prioritize it.

1 Like

My modem is the Arris TM1602 and the router is the Netgear R6300v2. It is hard to believe that the router does not support at least 802.11n, and probably 802.11ac, so the Wifi speed from my moto g6 still seems a little slow. I did test my moto g6 with all wired connections disconnected and it went up to 114 mbps. But if your chart is right it would seem like 200 mbps would be closer to what I should expect. I also still do not understand why my desktop gets about 400 mbps while my laptop gets about 200 mbps, both with a wired connection.

That is an AC router.
I would check to see if AC mode is enabled and if the channel mode is in 40mhz to get the more bandwidth. It may be called “N+AC” etc. You would not want to set “AC only” mode as that would prevent non AC wifi devices from connecting.

Also, for the faster speeds, you will need to have the wifi device connected to the 5ghz band.

Perhaps the laptop is connected to the 5ghz band and the phone the 2.4ghz?

The 5ghz has less range than the 2.4ghz band. You may want to make sure each band has a different name (SSID) so that u can choose what band to connect your device to.
If u have a small home or apartment, the 5ghz band should cover you, but if i have large home, you may find that may u need to use the 2.4ghz band in order to have a good enough signal everywhere, as the 5ghz band will drop off or become to low signal to be useful the further away from the router you go.

Typically, depending on what you use your phone for, the 2.5ghz band and the ~100mbps speeds you are getting is plenty fine for the typical uses, browsing web and even watching videos. You would not notice any change in real world, everyday tasks.

Thanks for the router type, a check indicates that the default on WMM is enabled, so you should be good to go there.

• We haven’t explored the channel settings to see if you have neighbor interference on the channel you are using.
    • I would check Quick Check 2 /Router Channel Selection and make sure you are not on a channel that is either partially or fully overlapped, the example I show is for 2.4Ghz but the same applies for 5Ghz.
    • Your router doesn’t seem to provide Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS), so you should avoid the channels called out in this Netgear doc
    • If you need to change channels, see this doc

My Note9 on 5G gets speeds of 200 Mbps down and 200 Mbps up. No different than my pc which is wired to the router.

The Note 9 does not support 5G…that is the 5G Cellular Data network.

It does support a 5Ghz AC wifi network.

It is important to not mix up the terms.

A very useful Tips & Tricks provided by Expert/Ambassador @louisdi clears up the mystery on the WiFi side of communications.

1 Like

I do not see anything anout AC mode or channel mode in the router’s configuration. I am using the Netgear Genie. Maybe I need to update it. The phone is connected to the 5ghz band. I will look for a firmware update for the router, maybe that will improve things. If the phone mpbs up to 100 mbps is what I should expect with my phone, then everything is fine. I still do not understand why my wired laptop shows only half the speed as my wired desktop, but I can live with the 200 mbps of my laptop.

At 2.4 Ghz thr channel is set to “Auto”, while at 5 Ghz the channel is set to 153.

It would depend on the chipset in the laptop, how old and what model of laptop is it?

ok, but what does the signal look like on the 153, any overlap from another neighbor would affect the speed

I used the Wifi Analyzer and then changed my channel for greater speed. Unfortunately the NetGear genie that lets me control my router’s settings only allow 8 channels for 5Ghz. These are 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, and 161. Is this normal for 5Ghz or is this just a limitation of my router ? Since a bunch of nearby wifis were also using channel 153 on 5Ghz, changing to channel 157 appears to be better with less interference, and my Wifi speed went up to about 125 mbps. Evidently the max Wifi speed I can get is 150 mpbs, but I am not sure if this is a limitation of my router or of my cellphone, alhtough I strongly suspect the latter. Still I like my cellphone and have no interest in upgrading right now.

Message an
Expert customer