Is all t-mobile created equal?

My experience with carrying two phones, one freedom pop, one republic, is that the sprint service worked half as often as sprint republic. Obviously, FP didn’t pay enough for all the towers. FP is great only as a backup for broken phone or dead battery. A second moto e is less bulky and lighter than a battery case. Batteries no longer swapping, thus never pay big bucks in hopes for an investment. But I digress.

I am not sure why internet worked so much better on rw than FP, even on 3g capable FP. And, I wonder if same is true for rw t-mobile verses some of the cheaper competitors. Yes, rw has voice roaming, cheaper don’t. But, I am even talking daily use.

Note too, the FP against rw test included moto e v. Moto e. . Same phone, but double high speed data available with rw. True, even choosing prefer 3g on the FP phone. . Often nothing with the FP phone while rw had 4bars of 3g sprint. My guess was the mvno didn’t pay their sprint bill on time, or was paying sprint for a lower tier, as in fewer frequency bands. Or some limit on number of customers allowed per tower.

It would take some time to determine if all T-Mobile MVNOs are equal. Where I live and travel (MN and ND) I have observed differences between the Sprint coverage and the T-Mobile coverage. Sprint’s native coverage isn’t nearly as widespread as T-Mobile’s native coverage BUT they roam on Verizon so the voice and messaging coverage is pretty darn good.

LTE data speeds were comparable and with T-Mobile’s far superior native coverage data is more accessible.

T-Mobile’s roaming partner AT & T has good coverage but T-Mobile doesn’t use AT & T towers for roaming where they have “fair” native coverage. This is a major disadvantage for me because my S7 will not roam on a very strong AT & T signal when my “fair” T-Mobile coverage drops. When I was on Sprint and their weak signal dropped my phone would switch to a Verizon tower.

Message an
Expert customer